shimming the hood

i made an attempt to shim my hood with longer bolts and washers, but it wasnt high enough. on the other hand, the hood wont close if it is up any higher.  the hood is already pretty far away from the header panel now, so it might just be better to get a straight up cowl. whatcha think? apparently it was once a big fad in japan but how did they do it?

-chris

thats a great idea, but i think you would have to redrill the hood mount holes and relocate them.  it might be easier and more efficient just to install a cowl induction scoop and cut the back of the hood.  i have no idea how they used to do it at the track, maybe if you make some sort of stop on the hinge in the back so it doesnt go all the way down.  oh well, not something i want to mess with:)

thats why I was trying. So far with it slightly raised and no weather stripping there is NO difference in operating temps as far as coolant or air temp... At least according to my haltech. I've noticed no other differences either.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...
yeah im doin this mod mainly for the looks....simply because your never goin to notice the under hood temps unless your doin like 10 runs at the track in one night or your doin a high speed run were the air will actually be forced out and "new" cooler air in....oh yeah and it helps if you have a splitter or some type of under car induction for the engine bay(like right under the front air dam) a peice of curved sheatmetal will work ill post some pics of mine when i get some time and a digital camera worth a crap...

• 2 weeks later...

interesting. i was going to start a post about this.....i was showing off my polished valve cover one day and dropped the hood down afterwards. i drove it home  from the bowling alley (12 miles) and was too lazy to stop and relatch the hood...it didnt close completely and was being held opened slightly by wind. temp guage showed 1/4  and it always has shown at least 1/2 or 1/3 especially with the a/c running. the a/c was running too......

i guess if i had a 1983  scooped hood the effect would be the same?

stariongirl

Actually, a stock '83 hood is for the most part functionaly no different than a stock hood from any other year.

The scoop on the front, has only two very small slit's in it, and the vent's in the back arn't even through to the engine bay, directly anyway.

You could take a '83 hood and modify it to function better though.

Just depends on how much patience you have to do the cutting and what not.

Also, the '83 hood to me, was noticably heavier than the stock hood off of my '88.

I'm not trying to say it was slowing my car down, but, I guess the thought just bugged me.

sarc,just cut out the inner reinforcements and lighten it :D i wonder how light the fiber glass 1983 replica hoods are.......

just opening the hood on my car when it is hot i can feel a great deal of hot air escaping.

a dremeled out 1983 hood might have a partial effect of the same type?

stariongirl