Carbon Fiber Products.

I know this isn't 'technically' a group purchase as of yet. The reason I posted here is due to a new member that might register that I have invited, and I know how you guys can be towards a 'newbie' offering a new product to the community, due to past experiences with some new users.

With that said.....

Let's show some interest in what kind of Carbon Fiber products we'd like to see available for our car. I've invited a member to Tristarion and SQC so that he can gauge interest in products, and hopefully give us a new service for the communities.

Products I stated that we'd likely be interested in include : Hood, Fenders, Headerpanel, Spoilers and dash kits.

Anything you guys can think of, post up, and we'll see what he says.

This member, if he does choose to visit us, will be coming from the Porsche board that I frequent, and he's all about getting our input on what products we'd like to see.

Guest silverngray

Well as usual it will come down to price. For the limited amount of people who want/can afford carbon. Someone already tried and was just to expensive. I would be interested though.

Rico

Well as usual it will come down to price. For the limited amount of people who want/can afford carbon. Someone already tried and was just to expensive. I would be interested though.

Rico

I agree, price will be a huge factor. But, Carbon Fiber isn't the only option available either, they do work with Carbon Kevlar(dunno if that's any cheaper or not  ???) and Fiberglass too. And if enough interest is drummed up they did mention Group Purchase potential(the reason I posted in this forum).

The biggest thing is to show enough interest in this thread and the thread I have on Tristarion, as they are monitoring the progress of these 2 threads, and also giving ideas of what you'd like to see.

Another issue that will come up, if this all does get set into motion, we might need an L.A. member to make contact, and probably supply parts for the mold(s), or at least for measurements. I'm sure that Jacob will let us know what's needed to get this started, if we can show enough interest.

A little information about the company, copied from my Porsche forum:

We have been in the composite industry for 20+ years and have capabilities ranging from wet lay-up to vacuum bagging and autoclaving. We have full access to CAD/CAM designers & OEM diagrams, CNC machined tooling, and our reputation in the industry has allowed us to get the lowest material cost in our region.

We currently manufacture a few items for the Porsche community and we are working to expand our product line. I have been searching through the forum to see what kind of carbon fiber, carbon kevlar, and fiberglass needs you all had for a while now, and after reading through numerous threads, I thought it'd be good to get your direct input.

1 item I'd like to see would be an '83 style hood with a slightly more pronounced hood scoop.

Anyone else with suggestions, want's?

I should also note, we won't be dealing with me, we'd be dealing directly with the company. It's the company that I have monitoring these threads to see if there is interest in their products.

how about under spoilers?

and canards?

but we NEED 83' style Carbon fiber hoods!!!

and headlight covers?

sunroof replacement CF piece?

these are all things id like to buy and dream of

my .2 cents

Under spoiler? Like an air splitter?

Before and after pic, it's the extension on the front airdam:

http://bluegtzhome.com/pics/installs/craigs944s2.jpg

http://bluegtzhome.com/pics/installs/po4.jpg

Or are you talking about a rear air diffuser that mounts under the rear bumper?

Something I'd like to see is a new style of wrap around wing.

Similar to this, but still utilizing the side panels that our wing currently has, just remolded to the contours of the new wing.

http://bluegtzhome.com/pics/installs/wing3_1.jpg

Sorry about the Porsche pictures  8)

NP with the Porsche pics.  I've always loved those cars too.  Yeah, rear air diffuser would be good since the other one which was suppose to be aluminum died.

And what is the general concensus on CF for the front air dam?  Good or no good?  Too stiff for that part?

I'll keep an eye on this post.

8)

Like I stated, this isn't me simply just trying to get a group purchase started with a certain think in mind. This is an appeal to a company for them to start building products for our car. I'm not doing any negotiating with the company, they are monitoring this thread and one on Tristarion to see if their is any interest in their services  ;)

http://www.tristarion.com/forums/index.php...=13&t=14417

I couldn't start a poll here, so please read and vote over on Tristarion.

We need 10 commited buyers for a hood and whichever hood style is the most popular would be the one to go into production.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got to find the link but,  there is a place out here in CA that will do a hood for any application for around 350.00 in CF.  I think thet do CK also.

The even have a section in their web site for GPs

I'll try to post it up tonite if I can find it.

This is dead.

The vendor didn't see any commitment or serious interest in their products, so they bowed out.

The Starquest community didn't see any product or vendor so they didn't give any  commitment..  I do think there is still serious interest

This is too funny posting on a dead link... I thought this was a new attempt at an old dream.. Just an old post.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind, that your average member on here doesn't read through all these on a daily or even weekly basis!  Let alone the extremely VAGUE thread title.  

If you seriously want to get a SPECIFIC carbon fiber GP, Start another thread for that in particular, and give it a month before contacting the vendor.  By then, with interest built up, a vendor will be blindsided by 10-15 interested individuals, or at least if it fails, they will never know and not be disappointed in our group.  

It's all about timing here.  Most members need some time to save up the $$ before commitment also.

1. Get interest

2. Get info & prices & post it on that specific part

3. Re-affirm interst and get a commited buyer list

4. Submit list to company!  

In no way do I intend to sound condescending.  It's just sad to see so many potentially sweet products never happen due to poor timing, communication, etc.

keep up the good fight

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
carbon fiber hood, cowl or new scoop style f*** the 83 style try a new design or just the stock hood but ya widebody only f*** the flatbody's they already have some body parts we need ANYTHING carbon fiber body parts forget the inside of the car maybe a dash would be the only thing that would be sick but other than that a HOOD or front spoiler should be the first things on the list. If someones just gets a product finished and ready to sell then I and im sure many others will jump all over it because we at least need 1 carbon fiber part for our cars and i think it should be a hood.... cowl style or new scoop style maybe something offset over turbo.... even if it turns out to be 700 bucks i would still buy one.

How about CF front fenders that are as wide as the rear fenders?  Then we could get 4 rims and tires all the same size.  CF brake cooling ducts.  Since we're making a wish list.

KT

This would be a nice idea also!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^