17 inch stock conquest rims * CANCELED

StarQuestRims

Yes canceled!

i received the price break cost for 20 people vs 10 people, 1600.00 a set!

give me a break!

2,500.00 for he design work up.

give me.........well i guess thats in line, i guess.

i have talked to two other custom shops and they say bascially the same.

i am done with this attempt and any more tries.

Sorry for all the hype etc.

mark v

I am in the process of working with a custom wheel manufacturer with the intent to make the stock quest wheels in 17 inch. 9.5 rears and 8 fronts.

There are many benefits but the one that comes to mind first is the many more sizes of tires to select from. This would give much better handling to each driver.

What is needed…….

I need a verbal commitment from those quest owners who would be interested in purchasing these rims. The more people interested the lower the cost per rim. I need at least a commitment from 20 people to get this started. The estimated cost to make one set of rims is staggering. This cost involves making the molds, designing and much more.  Once I/we have a commitment of 20 people the next step is to have the company design the rims. The spokes and center will be the same but the lips may differ slightly. The basic wheel look will be the same. There will be a cost for the design. Depending on the amount StarQuestRims will pay this or StarQuestRims will ask each of the 20 to help cover some of the costs. This payment up front will be deducted from the final cost of the rims once the final purchase is made. Meaning if the 20 each need to put up 50.00 and the rims cost 250.00 to purchase, giving a total cost of 1,000.00.  Then only 950.00 will be due. Once the design is complete each off the 20 will be give the pics and specs. If this is approved and the wheels are to be made the full payment up front will then be needed. This would be a non-refundable cost. The manufacture is not going to make 80 rims and eat the cost if then people decide to back out. I do not know the estimated time to make/deliver the rims. My guess is 30 days.

Estimated final cost per rim is 250.00-300.00. 1,000.00-1,200.00 a set.

E-mail me your name, address and phone number if you are serious. I need all this info or your name will not be added to the list. Check my website for the current list.

http://www.ieasysite.com/starquestrims/starquestrims_003.htm

I need a commitment from 20 people by November 1st or this idea will be dropped and not attempted again, by me.

Thanks,

Mark V

I think thats a great idea but I would change the rear 9.5" rim so the lip does not stick out like on the stock rim and so a tire with the lip protection bead will cover it. the stock 9" rims are just to easy to hit the lip!!!!!!!

there is alot to be worked out.

the 9 1/2 rear will need a minor change in the offset to make it work just fine.

the more people interested and wanting the cheaper the price.

if we can get 25 people interested theprice might be 250 per rim.

this is all abasic ballepark guess. if less than 20 want these thedeal is off.

mark v

You have my attention!! :o

What tire size will we be looking at? 225/40-17 & 255/35-17? I am guessing here. But we need to maintain near same OD to keep speedo correct.

I do not NEED to see finished product. I can envision it {Insert drooling sounds} 8)

What's the time line look like so I can second mortgage or sell a kidney or something.

Thank you Mark,

L4S

I'm for the CHROME idea!

I'm interested as well, I'd love to see the final product. I think the 17's should have a nice sized lip on them however, not the dual stage lip like the stockers. I think a 9.5 in rim out back with a 2-3in lip would look killer, along with the front 8's with a 1.5-2in lip.... Chrome or polished doesn't matter...

Glenn

not to put down an idea,but there are companies that will make the same size rims for about the same price.I was quoted by colorado customs awhile back of 1500-1700 for fully chrome rims.but factory looking 17's are interesting ;)

you must have talked to colorado customs on an off day or they was just really happy to talk to you.    i tried to have them custom make a set of 15x7 with a 75mm offset in a 6 lug pattern.  they said they couldnt give me a price for sure but it would be no less than 4 grand.   needless to say i went elsewhere.

How about 18s in 9" & 10", polished with painted center, so we can put some huge rotors behind them?  Go big or go home, right?

KT

Ken the 17's will allow for bigger brakes, unless you plan on putting 15in rotors behind the wheels. Oscar supplies a kit that works with the stock 16's. In that kit he runs 12.9in rotors with willwood 4 piston calipers upfront, and the stock setup out back. His best stopping distance was I think 93ft....

Glenn

Mark V:

I don't intend to highjack the posts but maybe I can add something useful. If folks want to keep the correct speedometer/odometer reading you may want to check out this modest little table I made up. It compares the stock tire diameters and 17-inch suitable  tires (i.e. really on the market) that would provide the equivalent tire diameters mounted on the "new" 17 inch wheels.

Comparison of Nominal Tire Diameters on 16 and 17 inch Conquest wheels

Stock       Nominal              SHP

Diameter            pkg

Front

205/55/16 24.9"                  225/50/16        24.9"

Rear

225/50/16 24.9"                  245/45/16*      24.7"

*speedometer would read about 1% low  

from my spreadsheet calculations and a check at Tire Rack website, for 17 inch

wheels, the similar diameter tires (on the market, NOT theoretical) would be

Front                   Avon Tech M500   Bridge PP S-03   Kumho Supra712

225/45/17 24.97"  24.9"                  25.0"                24.9"

Rear    

255/40/17 25.03"  25.0"                  25.1"**             25.0"

**speedometer would read about 1% high

POSTSCRIPT

Also from my calculations, and  the manufacturers' nominal required rim widths, the SHP tires (i.e. 225/50/16 and 245/45/16) would fit fine on the 7"/8" wheels, and one really wouldn't need the 8"/9" wheels for the most modern MAX PERFORMANCE "tyres". In the real world the road racers may think that's poppycock. And that really is an aside to Mark's real goal - "plus one" tires on 17-inch wheels.

Anyway - hope this helps someone.

(It's nearly impossible to properly format a table here. The software changes the formatting when the message is posted. Try hard to read the columns - sorry)

Cheers- Andy

don't get me wrong but if enough of you want to wait to see the finished product there will never be a finished product.

i need 20 people willing to make something very unique and special. these will be collector items even more rare the the wheel covers. understand once we make the initial 20 sets others can purchase the rims later. but we need an initial start up to make this happen.

i am planning on flying out to the manufacturor with 7s, 8s, 8s and 9s to get the design step started etc. this is on my companies nickle and not anyone elses expense. the wheels will look very very much like the stock wheels but with maybe a little surprise added on.  

mark v

Gotta have lips, like 2-3in on the rears and 1.5-2in on the fronts, It will look killer, kinda like the M rims you see on the BMW 540's and 745's....

Glenn

BTW, I can be in at anytime, I have no other expenses besides the MPI project I have on my car. So let me know Mark....