Cusco Camber Plates-Ready To Go!

MikeMeyerhoff

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I ordered my Cusco camber plates from Options online. They told me it would be 4-6 week wait. How long did it take for you to get the Cusco's, Artinist? Thanks! ;D

He waited 3.5 months yours could be 4 to 6 months... I mean weeks ;D  hehe,

The mag I'm suppose to buy for you was gone after we spoke they said next week. :(

Joe  

I'm hungry. I need the plates.... plates. Anything new?

Are the cusco just like K-macs?

or Ground Controls?

I'm in the market. The best deal wins.  It's almost payday, and i'm rich for the weekend.  lol

jb

actaully i had a long visit to the machine shop and the guy is being a jerk. he basically is giving me the runaround since i changed the design on him last time and these will be cheaper so he is not making much money. he says he can have them tomorrow but he wants to charge twice as much as he first quoted so I told him to go screw himself.

i contacted Shawn(starconquer) to see if he may be able to pick up the ball and get these made but he is not sure. anybody else who may have contacts with a machine shop and wants to get these made, let me know and I will send you the Autocad drawing. I am tired of chasing after machine shops and I am instead going to concentrate on the headlights since I can do most of the work myself and not rely on others. I know many were waiting for these and I am sorry about that. hopefully someone can still get these made.

here is the design. the piston shaft will connect just like the anti-swaybars do using a sandwich of 1/4" thick polyurethane washers to alowe room for the change in camber. this shock piston will be stationary and will not rotate like in most designs of camber plates. I saw this on a mustang camber plate and thought it was very interesting. there is no main large bearing. there is only a thrust bearing that goes between the coilover hat and the bottom of the plate that will carry the weight of the car and allow the spring and strut housing to rotate freely. the plate is one piece flat and the same on both sides of the car since there is no up side to it. the material would have to be something similar to 3/16" thick steel.

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/frontcamberplate.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/mustangcamberplates.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/thrustbearing.jpg

I take it that the only cut that needs to be accurate is the slotted piston hole... Which means that the rest can be laser cut right?.  Can this be aluminum or is steel preferable?  What else will need to come with this?  I take it that a front set will require 6 studs to be pressed in and the required bearings and bushings.  Any info on sourcing this stuff?

the spacing of the 3 holes for the bolts has to be somewhat accurate also. those can just be either streight drilled holes or one could tap them so the bolts can be screw in from bottom and they will stay in place. pressing is not really necessary.

it should be made of steel. this is a different case than the rear camber plates. in the rear even without a plate there, the spring and the top-hat can not possible go anywhere, the hole at the top of the body is not large enough for the top hat to go through and everything will stay in place. in the front if the plate is to fail, it will cause a nasty bump on the hood. even though the cusco unit is just a 1/4" thick aluminum, its better to be safer. the only other thing it will need is 4 polyurethane washers that are 1/4" thick and 2" round and 8 metal washers that will sandwich the polyurethane washers. plus 2 thrust bearings which are around $2 each.

• 2 weeks later...

the upper spring perch sits on a plain metal washer and then the polyurethane bushing and then the camber plate itself.

Here another option for those who may have access to a shop.

one can make a simple flat plate that bolts up to the factory location.

Then, cut a center hole and drill some holes to accept the 90-93 mustang camber plates. the mastang kits are just $150.

the flat plate can be either 5/16 -1/2 aluminum or 3/16 - 1/4 mild steel or 1/8 stainless.

here are some examples of the mustang plates. there are at least 5 different manufacturers of those.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...;category=33581

crap crap CRAP.  I've been reading up and stuff and when I read the date of when you just posted this I was struck down it was yesturday crap   I wish I knew a shop.  Because my 88auto is wearing out the inside of the tires BAD and just to state the facts I don't know much about suspension stuff I just installed lower control arms today first time i've ever done susp stuff and i've been told that my 88auto needs to have camb adj.  is this true?  Whats the latest from everone else?? Any news?  Can this post be tacked onto top of susp?

Thanks

Zero

oh ya. what all these people do is, use oversize balljoint type bearings to be able to handle the weight. well in these bearings, the center hold is pretty big so they use a simple metal sleeve that goes over the shock so that its thick enough to fit snug in the bearing hole. the cuscos are made the same way. you can fit pretty much any shock piston in there.