STRUT BARS

StarWoes

This is just my humble two cents but I've seen Greddy stuff on a lot of high end high horsepower stuff from Skylines to Supras and what have you and their line of stuff is tight and I don't think the strut bars they have are what they'd skimp on now when it comes to it doing it's job.

I've never really heard anything bad about Greddy, since they're pretty much up there next to HKS in terms of class and reputation.  Their suspension stuff are pretty much equal to the best stuff Cusco engineers as well.  On the other hand, I've read some pretty nasty stuff about TEP and their proprietor, Steve.  Don't have anything against the guy or the company but it seems a lot of folks on the board have been burned by the place.

Knowing that the aftermarket industry is very competitive, I would think anyone who sells similar items over the competition would try their best to market their own as the best and in turn obviously try to make the other guys' stuff look inferior.  If TEP has that publicly in writing on their website about Greddy's bar being worthless, it'd be nice if there were reasons, better yet, tests right?  Otherwise, it'd be pure conjecture.  Public defamation anyone?

I already picked mine up and it's definitely a good purchase for me and definitely rigid.  Please don't flame me if you disagree, just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

MANGO  

This is just my humble two cents but I've seen Greddy stuff on a lot of high end high horsepower stuff from Skylines to Supras and what have you and their line of stuff is tight and I don't think the strut bars they have are what they'd skimp on now when it comes to it doing it's job.

I've never really heard anything bad about Greddy, since they're pretty much up there next to HKS in terms of class and reputation.  Their suspension stuff are pretty much equal to the best stuff Cusco engineers as well.  On the other hand, I've read some pretty nasty stuff about TEP and their proprietor, Steve.  Don't have anything against the guy or the company but it seems a lot of folks on the board have been burned by the place.

Knowing that the aftermarket industry is very competitive, I would think anyone who sells similar items over the competition would try their best to market their own as the best and in turn obviously try to make the other guys' stuff look inferior.  If TEP has that publicly in writing on their website about Greddy's bar being worthless, it'd be nice if there were reasons, better yet, tests right?  Otherwise, it'd be pure conjecture.  Public defamation anyone?

I already picked mine up and it's definitely a good purchase for me and definitely rigid.  Please don't flame me if you disagree, just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

MANGO  

Well, it's interesting you should point this out. I can't complain with GReddy's product line. The bar looks good but I'd prefer a different design. I personally think TEP just wants to sell their stuff and are kinda "big headed". Though you have to look at the designs of each bar. Some look a bit stronger/stiffer then others. Take these pics of a TRD strut brace. They look a lot beefier and look like they'd stop a lot of flex from the chassis. I personally would like to have a tri bar setup like the one pictured at the very bottom. It's an HKS Kansai style tri on a Lancer EVO VII. Looks a lot more rigid then the ones we have for our car. Another one out there besides the GReddy is the Cusco. Don't know where you can pick it up but it looks similar to the Neuspeed one for Hondas and Acuras.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/trd_brace/strut8-5%5B1%5D.jpg

http://www.kansaiss.co.jp/parts/img/ktm005.jpg

Those bars look really good, definitely beefier than what we have available that's for sure.  I think considering the current crop of bars for our cars, I think that I'd rather put money on Greddy than the other company.  Neither of them are obviously any close to the ones on the photos but between TEP and Greddy, I'd go with Greddy any day.

I'm sure Cusco in Japan would have these for our cars.  I had a Celica once and they didn't have it here so I went across the pond and got one, just took two months to get though.

MANGO

looks can be deceiving.  maybe we need some test data to know which actually is stiffer.  on first impression, when i saw the pictures above, thought it looked much beefier but seeing it again now, not so sure....looks can indeed deceive..

Mango....have you received yours yet?  mine is really shiny....quite light!!  I'm happy with it... ;D ;D

well, only thinking of this now. doesn't really pertain to the GP (sorry) but watching the new Best Motoring Vol.6 covering the new 350Z, they mentioned the front strut bar is basically a regular bar but filled with urethane to control vibration and stiffen up the bar as best as possible, while also aiding in ride comfort. real interesting. it'd be a nice idea for the aftermarket to do this.

For you guys that have the Greddy strut brace, do you actually feel any difference when throwing the car around the corner or doing a quick lane change? I sometimes feel my front or rear glass and hatch area flexing and sometimes creaking a little, but I am still holding out for someone to make an end-all strut bar for a 'Quest that's reasonably priced! But hey, if the Greddy actually stiffens things up pretty good,I'd consider it!.  I've been wondering myself why TEP calls Greddy's bars "useless"

• 2 weeks later...

Every car that I have added a strut bar to, felt stiffer.  

On my current project conquest, I have a Greddy/Trust front strut bar with custom tri-angular bars tied to the firewall.  It also has a custom rear strut bar.  I completed the whole suspension (bushings, strut bars, swaybars, springs & shocks) last summer and took it out to an autoX event and was very pleased.  I was really surpised that I was able to turn in quicker compared to my 93 RX7, which I regularly autox.  I've autoX for several years and have won a couple regional championships with my RX7.  I plan on taking the conquest to more events and to track events once I've completed the MPI conversion and installed the big brake kit.

In my opinion, you will benefit in adding strut bars both front and rear.  If I had a choice though, I would upgrade your swaybars first.

PS.  One of these days, I'll post pics of my strut bars.  I don't have a digital camera yet.

• 1 month later...

anything that will connect the two shock towers "without" flexing will do. and the greddy part looks like it will do the job just fine and it looks good also.

the Stebani is ofcourse is the next step up with the firewall triangel connection. you definetly wont need that unless you are running racetires which put a lot more stress on the suspension. this kit comes with adjstable camber plates.

the tep stuff isn't bad either. but for the money, the Stebani is a better kit. but spend your money on a front adjustable camber plate first, you will see much more improvement, than a strut tower bar.

All you need is a sturdy piece of metal to tie the strut bars.

That Greddy will work all day long! I have one and so do many others on here for years.

I just put a strut bar on the GS-T and it stiffened up the front nicely. Just a plain old bar like the strut bar shown on that EVO.

As long as the metal used is strong and good welds any strut bar will help, no need to get too over critical on these things :)

I can't believe you guys would buy that pos rather than support Alpos down in Australia-

He went out of his way to modify his strut bars to fit 2.6 Starions then offered both front & rear for little more than the Greddy crudbar- Oh ya Greddy bovs suk btw imo

Not the fanciest but your not paying top dollar either

http://www.pbn.com.au/staz/u3.jpg

http://www.pbn.com.au/staz/u5.jpg

That grex bar looks like it's on stilts too- I bet TEP says it sux because the welds at the base of the "stilts" crack in hard turns-That bars is for looks- Alans bar is solid as a rock and comes with

exc. instructions and VERY VERY nice hardware

I really think the tri-y thing is not needed-

I really think the tri-y thing is not needed-

Tex, I think you would be surprise how much stuffer the rear piece (triangular) makes it. I know first hand. I made a set out of thin wall condiut. As first it went tower to tower, then I made it triangular. That's what made it really solid. No it's not nessesary, but it sure does help!

Shawn