Pics of my headlight conversion

So you make em, then show them to us, then say there ain't gonna be no more!!!  You, sir, are grounded!!  Go to your room and think of what you have done to all these nice people, teasing them like this...

I likes, now I just gotta get this dude to make my aluminum hood...oops, did I let the cat ooutta the bag?  Damnit, yeah, I'm getting an aluminum hood made with a 3" cowl and heat extractors like the 2003 Cobra.  Should look pretty pimp and shave a couple pounds off the front.  Anyways, looks good man.  You should at least offer like an instruction kit or something detailing all the steps and all the parts you need to do the conversion.

Lataz,

Brian

PS

See, buggin you made you post pics!  LOL

yeah, i could do an instruction book then sell it on ebay like all the other scammers out there. ;D

the reason i wouldn't produce these is the fact that they are not nearly a production quality piece.  i still have that set of hella's that i spent a fortune on and if i were to ever produce a kit those would be the lights of choice.  the lights in there now are some basic 3" round driving lights from my local auto parts store.  the other set of lights are some other blue lensed no name 6" round lights i had laying around from when i had my truck.  i'll snap a pic of the light pattern on the lights when i get a chance to do so, but they put out a nice flat wide beam that covers a pretty good area.  the big lights will be the high beams so to speak, they will come on in conjunction with the low beam lights.  the big lights are a pencil beam light and shine very very far ahead of the car (on my truck behind a billet grill they used to light up road signs at about half a mile away).

the covers are exactly as they seem, stock ones with holes cut in them and plexi glued into the openings.  total cost of this setup was just over $100 if you include the cost of the lights i had already.  i'll have to weigh the headlight assemblies that i pulled out to find the weight savings.

Hey! They looks fantastic!

They look like BMW lights? Really suits the car, it actually makes it look more like the 4WD drive starion..

MAKE MORE!  ;D

honestly there's not much to these.  the hardest part was to get a hold of the plexiglass that i used and to get the epoxy to hold it in well.  other than that two sets of lights of your choice and a little bending of the brackets and voila! non-popup lights.

the plexy glass is the easy part in my opinon. just get some lexan(better against scratches) and lay it over the stock headlight cover and put it in the oven at 500deg. let it take shape and take it out. just dont smell the fumes and clean the oven afterward really well.  I am interested in seeing how the lights are sitting on the bracket. the adjustment portion to be specific.

the beauty is... i didn't fab any type of bracket.  the smaller lights (the ones that are on in the pic) are mounted to the core support via their own mounts.  the other lights (6" round) are mounted to the support pieces that the header panel bolts to.

oh, and i used lexan not plexi.  i think it was 1/8" thick and came in sheets of 12"x12" for about $3 a sheet.  the lexan was actually pretty pliable (i bent a scrap piece in half and it didn't break, just turned white at the bend) and i'm gonna experiment with making the full lexan covers using the oven soon.

Superquest, nice job. They look really nice. You wouldn't happen to have any more pics from a different angle would ya?

A suggestion for bending lexan...

Try heating it up a little....maybe with a heat gun of put it in the oven, then try bending it. I bet it won't turn whote if you get enough heat in it.

Again, nice work!

Shawn

shawn,

thanks.  i'll get more pics when i get a chance.  as far as bending the lexan i know the process of drape forming it in an oven.  i was just giving a small testimonial as to the flexibilty of the stuff i bought over regular plexi.  regular plexi isn't flexible at all unless heated whereas the lexan sheets i bought were nice and flexible even unheated.

Yeha, I know what you mean. Plexiglass just snaps and even shatters.

We have some smoked 1/4 lexand here at home that I used to play with. I too a 2.5" x 1.5' piece and bent it so the ends were touching. Then I bent it even tigher. It took alot of work to get it to snap. It's great stuff and supposedly bullet proof.

I look forward to seeing the pic's.

Shawn

Yea, 1/2" Lexan can take a close range shot from a 12-gauge shotgun! :o

Saw it on Guiness (sp.) Wold Record's TV show a few years back.

infortunately 1/2" lexan would be a little thick for this job  ;D  it would probably also negate the weight loss of the headlight asseblies ;)