DIY body work(pics)

FontanaTSI

yeah, you can build any style hood scoop you want, but its alot of work. You might be better off buying a drag style scoop and adding it to your hood. Then get an aluminum plate about 1/4 inch thick and braket it to the top of the engine to shield heat away from the cone

burton

I love your body work man, and I hardly ever like DIY fabricated stuff.  You did nice work there.    As for this talk about cooling,  it's one thing to invent some system by which hot air is removed from under the hood.  That's definitely beneficial.  But, it's just not all that important to improve flow to the air filter.  No matter how perfect your "cold air" intake system is, you still only end up with ambient temps entering the turbo and that air will be compressed and heated after all  your hard work fabricating some elaborate system to make it cold.  A few degrees difference at turbo entry will have little to do with the temp of the air the turbo puts out.  The biggest gains will be made from simply improving intercooler efficiency, or flow to the intercooler.  Since flow can't get much better to the intercooler, you're stuck getting a better intercooler.  This is true because of the vast difference between the temp of the air coming out of the turbo compressor, and the temp of ambient air.  There is almost no positive effect from cooling intake air with ambient air because they're almost always about the same temp anyway.  But when your intercooler changes the 150 degree compressed air to 75 degree air, you will be very happy.  It can do this because ambient temps are super cold relative to compressed air temps.  If you wanted to get crazy, you could mount and Air to water intercooler inline on your intake pipe, and use an air to water intercooler after the turbo and end up with ice in your throttle body, but who wants to make all that power?  What I'm really getting at is when you undertake a hood modification project, don't expect much more than asthetic improvements and perhaps a few degrees cooler engine bay temps, which again I agree is well worth it if you can do it without letting in dirt and water too.  

I have to agree with chip, the gains you MIGHT get with the forced air, wont be worth the problems you WILL have with the extra moisture you get on the engine. All the vents I have done have been non-functional except the front air dam  I made for my tercel I used to have. Make something cool, but don't try to make it functional. You will end up pulling your hair out trying to re-engineer your designs and ides trying to get it to work. Some people will tell you you're a poser for having non functional vents, but its your car, make it look like you want. If I did everything everybody ELSE wanted to my car, I would hate it and wouldn't even want to drive it.

burton

Strange...I know I wrote a reply to that hood scoop idea, but it must not have gotten through.  hmm  ???

Anyhow what I said agrees with both your takes on the air flow.  I think it would look cool but it would do little for the 2.6.  However for those with the V8 conversion that might be another story.  It would be much more funcionaly plus the loud exhaust of a V8 and speed to boot would actually be behind the bada$$ look of it.  I'd hate to have a scoop and not be able to go as fast as it looks...thats borderline ricer!

-Matt

Chip mentioning a better intercooler got me thinking. Has anyone tried to implement a intercooler water sprayer? The new Mitsu Evo 8 has one from factory. My guess is that you could simply re-route the lines from the window washers and install a sprayer pointed at the intercooler. I don't know what kind of performance difference it would make but with it being bascally free it might be worth trying...

Chip mentioning a better intercooler got me thinking. Has anyone tried to implement a intercooler water sprayer? The new Mitsu Evo 8 has one from factory. My guess is that you could simply re-route the lines from the window washers and install a sprayer pointed at the intercooler. I don't know what kind of performance difference it would make but with it being bascally free it might be worth trying...

actually, i think as early as the EVO 5 or 6 model this water i/c system was implemented. the subarus also have this function (might be much more worth it on the subaru since it has the top mounted i/c and the turbo is located near the i/c so heat soak is much more prone).