Changing the starquest aerodynamics.

AustinTSI

From what I understand, the Starquest front end has a tendancy to lift because of a low pressure zone right over the front of the radiator and motor. This is why the 83 model hood doesn't work as a functional unit very well.  mounting a hood vent near the rear of the hood helps with engine compartment air flow but doesn't do anything for downforce.

so here's the question:

how could we modify the hood or front nose piece of the starion to get more downforce and better air management around the intercooler and engine bay?

Thanx, Dave.

PS: what I would really like to see is some photoshop pics from people splicing some of the aftermarket ground effects onto the starion.

DS.

Could possibly make a hood with a reverse scoop behind the radiator.  It would both extract heated air and act like an air divertor to force the air up and over the hood.  Like the GT40's had.  Such as the ones pictured here...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/b_luv22upinya/l...otos.yahoo.com/

Not so dramatic though.  He he he

great gallery:) i love me some gt40's  ,   take a look at the diy body work post and check out the hood.  so you want more downforce on the front? i want mine lighter, it pushes into turns.  do you have a factory skid plate?  as far as the scoop is concerned there is 'dead air' around where the scoop on the 83 hood is so your right it wouldnt work functional very well.  the rear of the hood has much more' useable air'  cowl induction would be the way to go. also opening up the front end, ive seen a few photos of people cutting holes in the front section where the logo is to let more air in.  looks good if done right.

http://www.jspamerica.com/images/gallery/5/f_rsx_03.jpg

the little carbon fiber thing under the bumper is a spitter, they have basically all thread and a pivot point so you can raise or lower them,thus  being adjustable.

www.teamprototype.com

They have splitters and stabilizer kits for sale, some of the stuff looks really cool and I am sure could be functional if done right.

Also, has anyone considered canards (the lil horizontal stabilizer lookin things on the front of "race" cars in the middle of the bumper)

Could possibly make a hood with a reverse scoop behind the radiator.  It would both extract heated air and act like an air divertor to force the air up and over the hood.  Like the GT40's had.  Such as the ones pictured here...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/b_luv22upinya/l...otos.yahoo.com/

Not so dramatic though.  He he he

yes, i was planning to do something like this hopefully in the near future. i also plan to put two smaller vents on the left and right side (similar to the '83 but sloping in forward to the front of the car instead of sideways). i plan to put it a little higher then the '83 vent. i was kinda iffy on doing that kind of vent on our hood since the middle space is so small but i've seen a couple of japanese only cars that have a similar small space like ours and it looks pretty awesome.

i also want to try the lower bumper splitter since it's only a flat piece of fiberglass/carbon fiber. a car that has this from stock is the MP3/Mazdaspeed Protege, though i'm not sure how effective it is or if it's even functional.  

can't see canards as something that would look good on a StarQuest, never know untill you try it. You should try making your own since no one seems to make one that looks like it would fit our cars right.  A good source of carbon fiber sheet is www.lockhartphillipsusa.com I bought some from them a while back (1'x1' sheet) for $75. I've made many gauge pods for friends out of that sheet and still have room for more, just take your time with the stuff and it will come out looking awsome.

i have recently done some research on the ins and outs of downforce on cars, but you really cant say downforce on most any production car because they are way off the ground, have rough edges all over underneath the car, and usually have a useless rear spoiler. having said that, you will most likely be reducing the lift at higher speeds, unless you really put on some big daddy wings on both ends, but then the coefficent of drag would be way up.  what i planned to do was put on an aluminum plate extending from the front air dam back to the crossmember, then maybe a couple more pieces on the floor pans, and finally one on the rear angling slightly upwards,(like the rear of the car does anyway).  how much will this really do?? ::) might be fairly useless, considering the car needs to be low to the ground. also you cant extend the front pan all the way to the middle w/o making some vents for the air that is going into the eng. comp.  besides where are you ever really gonna need downforce, maybe the silver state i guess.  if we had a ferrari f355, we wouldnt need to worry, they already come stock with downforce.