Has anyone repaird thw Front bumper

BullShipper

Mine is pretty scuffed up as I am sure alot of the peoples here are

Has anyone fixed it up

I was thinking of going at it with some fiberglass resin and a gfiberglass mat with some sandpaper and try to find some rubber primer for some spray paint.

I've repaired two of mine before.  One was severly cracked and the other had a small crack that wasn't all the way through but was severly worn through on the corner bottmos from scraping down driveways.  

I used another old bumper cover to donate strips of ite urethane and epoxied them in place on the backside of the spoiler so that they would hold the cracks closed.  Needed to roughen up the surfaces quite a bit and grooved them a little to give the epoxy something to hold.  Then I found som e product at pepboys that is made for flexible bumper repairs.  That filled in the cracks and I used it to rebuild the under areas and corners that had been scraped away by basically layering it up and then sanding it back to shape.  

Of course it doesn't last forever.  One nice whack on a curb sometime and the small crack has opened up again but it did last about 2 years looking good.  The rebuilt corners are holding up though.

Steve A.

I had large chunks missing on both corners I shaped them with fiberglass and smoothed them with bondo, they looked good but a year later aI smacked a curb and one side popped off, the part theat popped off kept the same shape so Im going to epoxy it on there and I dont se why that woulnt last even longer.

• 2 months later...
ok, i got the answer. im a body man by trade and i fix urethane bumpers on a daily basis.a company called duramix makes an epoxy that WILL work. its called 40/40, its in a short dual cylinder type culk gun.  they offer several different versions for different plasics . but i emphasize this stuff does work. straighten it as best possible and clamp it flat as best posibe  so it stays in place, glue it and let it sit about 2 hours. grind off with a grinder any excess and give it a skim of bondo or 2 part body filler to smooth it out and your done.

Go to www.golfsmith.com and do a search on epoxy. Get the one for graphite shafts. It is designed to work on composite golf shafts and has to stay flexible and strong so that it doesn't break apart and let the head fly off. A lot of other epoxies are too brittle ( like fiber glass ) and the first time that you hit a curb it will crack and start splitting on you. this stuff works great and you can get it in either small or large quantities.

I took two pieces of bumper from my wrecked car and epoxied them like a T. When I grabbed it two days later and started bending it to make the weld break, I couldn't get it to break. I had it folding flat and it still wouldn't break.

Dave.

• 5 years later...
I've repaired two of mine before.  One was severly cracked and the other had a small crack that wasn't all the way through but was severly worn through on the corner bottmos from scraping down driveways.  

I used another old bumper cover to donate strips of ite urethane and epoxied them in place on the backside of the spoiler so that they would hold the cracks closed.  Needed to roughen up the surfaces quite a bit and grooved them a little to give the epoxy something to hold.  Then I found som e product at pepboys that is made for flexible bumper repairs.  That filled in the cracks and I used it to rebuild the under areas and corners that had been scraped away by basically layering it up and then sanding it back to shape.  

Of course it doesn't last forever.  One nice whack on a curb sometime and the small crack has opened up again but it did last about 2 years looking good.  The rebuilt corners are holding up though.

Steve A.

can anyone help me find the front lower spoiler for my 87 tsi. i just bought the car and its missing. thanks

mine has the corners built out of jb kwick epoxy. two years and many miles later there is a hairline crack in one corner from running over a five gallon jug that flew out of the truck in front of me on the highway.

It worked for me. but as others have said you have to have a good surface for the epoxy to bite in. I used 40 grit on a die grinder.