New guy from Chicago

Forklift

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster, first time owner. I'm Mike from Chicago. I purchased an 1987 Conquest about two weeks. The car was previously a California care for the first 15ish years of life and then was located to Iowa. It was driven in good weather up until it supposedly blew a head gasket in 2010ish. It has sat since then, for awhile outside, but mostly indoors. The saving grace on this car is that at some point it was undercoated so while it needs a paint job, there isn't really anything but a tiny bit of surface rust in places.

I've been having fun going through it and replacing worn parts; I pulled the valve cover and it had a busted jet valve rocker arm; that in combination with the stated head gasket issue, along with ~106k miles, got me to order a new non-jet valve head which should come in this week. Other fun activities have included pulling the gas tank (it's getting cleaned), cv axles (waiting on boots to arrive), replacing the clutch and slave master, and soon replacing the brake master and all rubber lines since a couple are dry rotted.

Anyways, thanks for having me, this site has been a wonderful resource already; I look forward to sharing progress and participating in the fun.

Also, I've tried to attach some photos but the 500kb is ridiculously small in 2023!