How to Rebuild an 88/89 KM132 Manual Transmission

Lube these suckers and install…make sure you are putting them in the correct sides

full

full

The spring

full

full

Other side

full

full

full

You’ll see them contact that flange on the rod

RTV on the bolts

full

Install and torque to spec..22-30 ft-lbs

full

full

Now is a good time to check your operation! Could even shift to all gears if you like

full

Don’t forget about this last steel ball and spring

full

full

full

Now lube up that o-ring and gear on the speedo and install

full

full

So the speedo gear housing is actually a cam..you need to rotate it to engage the splines. You’ll feel it couple. Or just orient it with the notch on the outside in the position I show

full

full

Line up your slots and install the retainer.

full

full

full

Last gasket

full

full

And final housing

full

full

full

Couple of final items to install.

New gasket for the fill plug

full

full

full

Clutch fork…you know how to do this...I'm going to skip a few pics here...

full

full

full

Added some RTV to the flange and installed the steel protector

full

full

Last but not least; the pan with new o-ring (lubed) and new gasket for the drain plug

full

full

full

There you have it!

full

Everything is installed except the reverse light switch…if you look closely you can see that I have a temporary rubber cap in its place. I didn’t put that in until the tranny was in the car. Don’t forget the ball bearing that goes in front of the switch!

CONCLUSION

In all, I hope this helps. I tried to be very detailed and shared my screw ups/failures in hopes that you too can see/learn from them without having to go thru the same path. In all, this was a fun rebuild. It was an expensive rebuild due to the parts needed and the rarity of parts available for our vehicles…but heck we are used to that!

The cumbersome part of it was the time it took…mostly waiting for parts and fabricating my puller tool. I really wish I wouldn’t have lost that one group of photos but I hope my explanation and use of assembly photos was sufficient. For anyone performing this task, please help us out by snapping a few pics in the area that I missed…mainly in the removal of the input shaft/bearing and removal of the center bearing.

Again if you are performing this rebuild, study this thread and the manuals first prior to initiating. Don’t rely on only my pics. Who knows I may have missed an important photo…not to mention that I’m writing up this process after it being a full year or so since I actually did it. Be thinking and understanding of what you are doing, not just following the procedure I outlined. Also, I only showed focus on the worm or degraded items that I found upon inspection on my rebuild. Study every component looking for wear or flaws and make the determination if you need to replace more parts…or possibly even abort from the rebuild and find a replacement unit.

As always please feel free to send me PMs about ways you did things differently from me, more efficiently, etc. Also, if you something that I did that was downright wrong…please let me know! I would not be offended in the least way and don’t want to convey the wrong process to other members.

kev