Gaskets

hondaiceman

Normally I sit and think about how to conquer the world, when I take a break from such thoughts I have great ideas how to improve many things I come across in daily life. 95% of the time I never write down my ideas and well days go by and I forget them entirely. A few days ago when my brain was firing on all cylinders with the dohc ford head topic. I was looking over timing cover options since we would have to do some modding in that area anyways for the new head. I thought to myself how out dated our original timing cover gaskets are. Meaning they are made of paper. They also are 100% flat. So I came up with the thought of a rubber timing gaskets. It's not a tremendous idea, although it is worth looking into. I would assume getting a rubber sheet suitable for gasket material would be rather simple to find. Next would be the actual cutting the gaskets out of the rubber ( probably some type of laser cutting machine). And making hundreds of timing cover gaskets. Many of the gaskets used on the g54b are flat, without any raised areas unlike the new rubber gaskets on newer model cars. Feel free to add and put the wheels of progress in motion. Edited by hondaiceman

would be understandable if they were prone to leaking but they dont

if you do rubber how would you go about still having the oil pan/head bolts line up with the timing cover? along with not sticking out and hitting the harmonic balancer

i believe he was talking about the Timing cover gaskets being paper and wanting

to know if it would be better making them out of rubber like the valve cover gasket.

think it would not be worth the effort. don't usually see too many leaks in that area.

Well I don't think they need to be as thick as valve cover gaskets. I just have noticed the new engines have a lot of rubber gaskets. If I had an option to buy paper gaskets or rubber gaskets that work with no problem I would buy the rubber set.