Wrong size brake pads

roman88

Hello!

ive been having a weird rubbing loud noise coming from my rear wheels. its been going on for a long time and ive checked everything. its a weird non continous sound. kinda like something rubs only at a certain point. So just recently i jacked the car up and spun the wheel again and finally noticed when it made the noise my brake pad vibrated. so i took the wheel off and noticed that the brake pad was moving side to side in the groove that the little ear go into. i checked the other side and it was the same thing. I got my brake pads from rock auto and from kragen/ orailleys. ive changed out 3 sets of pads before i noticed this and the problem never went away. Anyone know if im just getting the wrong pads or if they are right and im just missing the correct clips? I took some pics but for some reason i cant upload em. ill try again later today. any help wil be greatly appreciated. ive looked all through this site and found nothing on this happening to anyone else. oh and my hand brake doesnt grab either. Thank you in advance.

things ive replaced in the rear before i found out the pad problem

wheel bearings

rotors (twice)

brake pads (3 times)

driver side caliper

thank you

Roman

Sounds like somebody forgot to put in the shims for the brake pads. You can get them from any part store or from RockAuto.com for a few bucks. They're supposed to go onto each end of the brake pad to keep them from moving and rattling.

As for the handbrake, you may need new cables. Also something you can get from RockAuto. Does the handle come up at all or is it a PITA to get it to even raise more than two inches? Have someone else work the parking brake while you look at the back of the calipers and see if the arm moves. If you see the cable try to move at the caliper, but the arm doesn't move, you need new calipers or you need to rebuild them. Whichever you prefer.

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.carpartkings.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/294a41051cc3e501d162a96820353e99/c/e/ce_11746011_fro.jpg

If you get them from rock auto, look under "Disc Brake Hardware Kit" and you'll see them.

Awesome!!! thank you guys! yea i only have those clips on one side and not the other. As for the shims i didn't know i needed them but thank you so much. this has been annoying me so much.

So the hand brake has nothing to do with the rubbing? ill check them tomorrow to see if they move when i pull the handle. the handle moves up normal just doesnt grab. I thought it was because of the brake pads. Thank you guy so much for the quick response

The shins are necessary. If the new pads don't fit because they're too tight, use a wire wheel on the end tabs or sand them to get the paint off. Sometimes the paint makes them too tight.

If the handbrake is completely loose then it might not be hooked up at the calipers or at the T-section under the center console. The PO may hve disconnected them because they weren't working right.

- Charles