That Diesel though

Skullzaflare

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been thinking about diesel a lot lately. Right now my red/white car doesnt have a motor in it (its in the garage in about 200 pieces). I have no money to buy anything right now, but Im still thinking about it. I have almost no experience with diesel though. I imagine that it would be a lot of fun to drift my crusty old car with an even crustier old diesel motor. Turbo and water/meth seem like something that I would want too.

What have been your experiences with the diesel? what things have been good, and what sort of problems did you have to work out?

Ive only seen a couple examples in starions, and I think both were 4d56, but there is also 4d55, and probably a few more mitsubishi options, as well as non-mitsu options.

Ive been thinking about diesel a lot lately. Right now my red/white car doesnt have a motor in it (its in the garage in about 200 pieces). I have no money to buy anything right now, but Im still thinking about it. I have almost no experience with diesel though. I imagine that it would be a lot of fun to drift my crusty old car with an even crustier old diesel motor. Turbo and water/meth seem like something that I would want too.

What have been your experiences with the diesel? what things have been good, and what sort of problems did you have to work out?

Ive only seen a couple examples in starions, and I think both were 4d56, but there is also 4d55, and probably a few more mitsubishi options, as well as non-mitsu options.

4d56 is far better than the d55,and even though it's not in this country, alot easier to find good than a d55.

Stock is 10psi on a td04-9b (different than 3000gt 9b)

I knew nothing of diesel, but have been back and forth with the other diesel starion.

I turned up fuel, modified a few things, running 25psi on stock 9b non intercooled for about 3 weeks before destroying the turbo (my fault lol)

Now running a billet td04-15t, at 25psi, about to put a intercooler on it.

I too plan to put a water injection kit on it at some time. My clutch slips above 15psi right now though.

All in all, 27mpg is worst I've seen, 31 max. I'm getting a set of 3.307 rear gears to drop rpm on interstate, i read anything near or higher than 3000rpm sucks fuel

On a side note, my motor had 150k on it when I got it

Another note on motors, d55 and d56 uses conquest flywheel/clutch/trans

Other options would be different.

4m40 I looked at uses a bigger bell pattern, not sure on flywheel

The Mercedes diesel in the 300d will bolt to our trans, but they mount starter on passenger side on its trans. I don't know if there is room between the injection pump and trans to mount on driver side.

It sounds like 4d56 is going to be the easy way. I actually like doing things the easy way, but it just never seems to work out that way!

Thanks for all the good info. I think I'll look at some of the other crazy options too, mostly just for fun, but also to hopefully learn some things too.

Are taller tires an option? maybe taller tires would be better than gears?

It sounds like 4d56 is going to be the easy way. I actually like doing things the easy way, but it just never seems to work out that way!

Thanks for all the good info. I think I'll look at some of the other crazy options too, mostly just for fun, but also to hopefully learn some things too.

Are taller tires an option? maybe taller tires would be better than gears?

I'm running 255/50 on my shp already lol

D56 was easy, same motor mounts and radiator too

You have to add a switched 12v to the injection pump for on/off, extend alt wires to passenger side, run brake Booster to vac pump on back of alt, remove intank filter, swap fuel pump with inline diesel transfer pump, replace gas filter in Bay with diesel filter, wire glow plugs, pretty much it lol

I could probably manage that, it sounds like there really is no fabrication, its mostly just find the right stuff, and bolt it on. I wonder if I could find a D50 or similar, and take the 4wd setup too.

Have you tried taller tires, something like 225/75 Maybe just on the rear. and try the freeway speeds to see how it works.

I could probably manage that, it sounds like there really is no fabrication, its mostly just find the right stuff, and bolt it on. I wonder if I could find a D50 or similar, and take the 4wd setup too.

Have you tried taller tires, something like 225/75 Maybe just on the rear. and try the freeway speeds to see how it works.

I don't want to put a narrow tire on my 9,and my 255s are new bfg gforce lol. My car is also lowered so i dont have room to keep going Taller

Also I didnt have to make anything, but extended alt wire, and make glow plug relay

Edited by Skullzaflare

Ive been looking on craigs, and ebay this morning. I havnt found many 4d56t motors, but the ones Ive found are pretty expensive for used motors.

I paid 2k for mine at 150k, the guy I got mine from, most are less miles for 2.5k, you can sometimes find a d55 core for 400-1000, but a rebuild kit runs around 700, plus machine work