Steering jerking to the right during a turn

Starfyter

Hey y'all, just wanted to get your opinions on something. Ever since I bought my car it's had an issue where during a right hand turn the steering will jerk to the right sharply, as if I had jerked the steering wheel rather hard. It's manageable but annoying. Do you think this is due to the steering coupler or the gear box? I replaced all of my tie rods and it had no effect. I'm inclined to think it's the coupler, and I have a spare, I just need to take the time to swap it. Could it be suspension related? Thanks guys.

I very highly doubt its your steering coupler or steering box, my first guess would be your center link if all your inner and outer tie rods are new. Also check your idler arm on the passenger side to make sure thats not loose.

Try jacking up front of the car to get the wheels off the ground and using your hands on the wheels check for free play both side to side and up and down. Maybe you have a loose wheel bearing? Also while your doing that give it a once over again to make sure everything is tight and as it should be.

I will say, having a bad steering coupler or steering box will create "wheel tracking" but it would be in both directions and not just to the right. That is one reason I doubt its those things.

Edited by speedyquest

Does it happen under braking as well? If it does your brake pads may be contaminated.

There is a brace running from the A-arm to the front of the car that sets the caster angle. If the bushings for that brace are worn out or damaged it can let the A-arm flop around during steering and braking. That will cause a sharp jerk in one direction while steering or under braking.

That is usually caused by a caster angle change while steering. Two things that are wear items that can make your caster be reactive are the upper strut mounts and the radius rod bushings. Pop the hood and get an assistant and "dry park" the car while viewing the upper strut mounts and everything else.

Check everything on that front end including wheel bearings and brakes like UCW said. A steering pull like that means something is way out of spec somewhere.

Edited by JohnnyWadd