1JZ/R154 for you swappers

Matt300ZXT

Figured some of my Quest buddies might be interested in this since it's a popular swap. I have a 1JZ with R154 pile of parts I purchased to put in my SC300 and might just prefer to put a w58 behind the stock motor and run it since the motor is healthy and put the money into something else.

Anyways, I have a rear sump, non-vvti 1JZ with Driftmotion lightweight pulleys and Driftmotion braced, ceramic coated t4 manifold. It spins over freely and was last run in March, I got it from a local'ish guy who had it in his SC300. Anyways, it comes with an automatic trans that I got with it when I bought it.

Parts I've purchased, either new from Driftmotion:

1JZ engine gasket set (Toyota OEM)

1JZ timing belt

1JZ belt idler pulley

1JZ thermostat

1JZ hydraulic tensioner

1JZ water pump (front half, since it was already in an SC is has the rear half already swapped over)

6 NGK plugs

Toyota FIPG for oil pan sealing

R154 clutch slave cylinder

R154 braided full length clutch hose

SC300 manual shift boot trim panel

SC300 clutch pedal setup

Parts purchased from other people new, or used where listed:

ATI Super Damper

JZ to R154 bellhousing

Aristo 440cc injectors (used)

Soarer auto trans wiring harness in good shape with igniter (used)

R154 shifter housing and shift rod (used)

http://s50.photobuck...ZXT/library/1JZ

There are pics of the motor, I can email pics of the wiring harness, ATI damper, trans, stuff like that which I just haven't loaded into my Photobucket.

I've got $3741.03 in it. Obviously some parts won't be needed for a Starion swap, I just copied/pasted the parts list from an email I sent someone. I guess I could separate and sell the engine/gaskets/damper/etc by itself and keep the transmission to put in my SC300 but I'd prefer to just sell it all at once. Let me know if you have offers. I'd also love to trade it all, with the SC300 for a nice Quest and some cash ;)

Edited by Matt300ZXT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would have to have one running, since my Lexus was supposed to be my daily but the auto died, prompting all the parts purchases to swap it (shoulda just bought another auto, waaaaay cheaper). I'd prefer a modded one since that's way more fun, but I know Quests have gone up in price a little lately, so it'd have to be a case by case basis. PM me with what you've got and maybe we can come to an arrangement ;)

1JZ engine gasket set (Toyota OEM)

1JZ timing belt

1JZ belt idler pulley

1JZ thermostat

1JZ hydraulic tensioner

6 NGK plugs

ATI Super Damper

Aristo 440cc injectors (used)

light weight pulleys

t4 mani

theres a list im interested in.

if we can come to a price and i believe we're close enough we could meet half way to do this.

let me know a reasonable price really only interested if itll save me a decent amount of money as im going to be shopping all winter long trying to stock up by spring for my build.

Sorry, I'm not delivering it. If someone wants it they can come get it and I'll use my hoist to load it in their truck. As far away as you are, you're probably better off buying from one of the JDM importers in New Jersey or something. However, if you reaaaaally wanna take a road trip, I can come up with a price.

• 3 months later...

Bump...here's what I can do:

Engine only to include: Driftmotion t4 manifold, stock intake manifold/throttle body, stock fuel rail (with Aristo 440cc), power steering pump with Driftmotion pulley, Driftmotion lightweight crank pulley, alternator, starter and rest of Toyota OEM gasket set I haven't installed yet. I've already installed cam and crank seals and the water pump. It comes with Toyota FIPG so you can reseal the oil pan, the rear main once it's installed, and then slap the belt and new tensioner on. It has no wiring harness included, but is essentially a re-sealed stock engine that hasn't been opened up. It comes with an auto trans. $1350.

I can sell it with the R154 and brand new unused Spec light steel flywheel and Spec stage 3 clutch kit, I paid $800 for this and a brand new 1JZ bellhousing. All you'd need is a shifter for the transmission, then the shifter housing modified to fit if the Quest setup needs that. I know SC and 240SX installs need it lengthened, not sure about Quests. I'd take $1400 for the transmission setup.

If someone wanted both, I could mix the 2 together. There wouldn't be much of a combo deal as I've already knocked some off of what I paid for the parts, even though they've never seen action. If someone wants just the motor that's fine as I could always put the transmission behind my stock SC300 motor in an na-t setup or just buy a VVTI jz motor instead.

• 1 month later...

If someone comes by the end of February to buy the motor, I'll sell the motor set by itself (motor, auto, t4 exhaust manifold, power steering pump, lightweight pulleys, alternator, starter, and rest of gasket kit) for $1000. You'll have to source your own injectors and a 5 speed if you want to run that. $1200 if you want the Soarer efi harness and igniter.

The belt is on and tensioned, still in time. Oil pan has been resealed, fresh front/rear mains installed, fresh cam seals installed, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did a leak down test on it and did find out 3 of the cylinders (if I recall correctly) had more than average leakage past the valves. So either they're stuck a little from not running in a while or there may be some carbon build up on them preventing them from fully closing. It's probably best to pull the head and get a basic valve job, then toss in some ARP studs, install the OEM head gasket that's in the kit I've got and throw the boost at it.

Just wanted to disclose that information. Still looking for cash or might consider trading for/towards a second Quest if someone has multiple cars and wants a JZ for their main car.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a motor for my 300ZX I'd like to have, and think I've got some guys lined up to buy the R154 swap separately, so if someone wants the motor itself and the auto that came with it (don't know anything about it), they can have all the motor related stuff for $1400 but I need to move it quick.

1JZ (I'd pull the head to do some ARP studs and a basic valve job and have the stem seals I've got installed)

Remainder of the OEM gasket set that hasn't been used

Auto trans w/ torque converter

ATI Superdamper

Precision t4 turbo

Driftmotion t4 coated manifold

Aristo 440cc injectors

I think that's a fair price since 1JZ auto motorsets hover around $1500 and you still need several hundred dollars worth of maintenance parts purchased and installed, as well as having worn out twins and small injectors instead of a big sexy name brand turbo, and you'd still have a crank pulley that's prone to separating and falling apart due to Toyota's great idea to make the crank pulley 2 pieces.