Tach Signal?

Thank you in advance for reading/helping me with this. Obviously, I'm a noob to SQ. I am not new to turbo 4's, however. I'm addicted to Merkurs (which I hope you won't hold against me) and I am rapidly becoming addicted to this 86 Plymouth TSI beast, which is my newest toy.

Issue: Car never shows symptoms until sudden ignition fail - generally at highway speeds. 10 failures at this point and never in city driving (not sure if related). Seems to happen after vehicle has been driven more than thirty minutes or so. Issue happens suddenly. Loss of tach and ignition. After pulling over and sometimes up to five minutes of looking at connections to ignitor (which I'm highly suspicious of) car will start and shows no symptoms. Might run 3 mintues... might run two days... no symptoms until sudden loss of tach and igntion again. Last night after two episodes within 3 mintues I tapped on the ignitor and eventually it started, but I can't be sure if it's related to my connection wiggling/tapping or just that the electronics cooled down and had less resistance.

Does not appear to be ignition switch (inspected). Does not appear to be grounds on ignitior or ignitor connector (cleaned and reconnected). Coil replaced and connections cleaned.

Please help if you have ideas. Thanks again.

Ignitors in the older cars are prone to failure, it does sound like that could be your problem especially the part about it happening after the car is hot. I upgraded my 87's ignitor (black plastic box) to an 89 model (bigger, metal box), there are some wiring differences but nothing too hard if you take it slow. You would need the 89 ignitor and the pigtail with connector for it to do the swap easily.

I remember somewhere seeing a post of how to open up the plastic knock box and solder the joints that become loose over time. If you wiggle the connector at the box while someone is cranking it and it starts its for sure it is the box. the 88/89 box and pigtaill are required for the mod.

Don't mean to contradict redcat but you don't actually NEED the pigtail, you can just modify your current connector to fit the 88/89 while also being able to fit 87's if need be. I believe there was a tutorial from a member on here of how to accomplish such mod.