Desirable 89 parts for 87

I have a 1987 starion 5spd I've been driving and modding while my 1989 conquest auto sits in storage. Was considering selling or parting out. Just curious other than the SHP wheels & ecu, are there any other 89 specific parts that I would benefit in keeping or swapping onto my 87?

I considered swapping the drive train but there is some body damage on the 89. The driver door was bent forward and crushed part of the door and fender and the door doesn't shut 100% correctly and the passenger side fender has a quarter size rust hole. Both cars are from Florida and that's the only rust on either body. I also have less into the 89. I may still consider that we will see. Thanks for all the feed back.

88-89 cars have,

Stronger manual trans

6 bolt rear instead of earlier 4 bolt (stronger)

Better ECU

Nicer looking HVAC controls

Auto down drivers window switch, 89 only

Rear seat shoulder belts, 89 only

Nicer steering wheel

Some have SHP package, adjustable struts and wider wheels

In addition to the above:

1987 EFI ECU Upgrade.

If your Lady is an '87 seriously consider upgrading the EFI ECU to a '88 or '89 one. It's just a plug & play mod. In '87 the engine was rated at 176 BHP at 5000 RPM, torque is rated at 223 LB - FT @ 2500 RPM. In '88, the HP was upgraded to 188 HP @5000 RPM, and Torque to 234 FT - LBs. No other engine changes, other than different distributor advance fly weights, and the vacuum advance were made between '87 & '88/'89. You get an additional 12 HP gain due to just the improved EFI ECU fuel maps, corresponding distributor centrifugal and vacuum advance changes. See the below paragraph.

1987 Distributor Upgrade.

If your Lady is a '87 and you upgrade to a "88/'89 EFI ECU, seriously consider upgrading the distributor to an '88/'89 Mitsu PN MD11 9954. The "88/'89 distributor advance fly weights match the improved '88/'89 fuel map curves so you get the maximum benefit from the improved fuel maps. You should also get From Mitsu the distributor cap for this distributor Mitsu PN MD61 1605, cuz it comes with a o-ring which seals the cap to the distributor body. You don't get the o-ring with after market dizzy caps. The '87/88 Mitsu Parts Catalog, pages 8-36 & 37, lists 2 vacuum advance units - vacuum Set ( cuz I think that there was a standard vacuum advance unit, MD61 1360, for all of the different Factory OEM EFI ECU's that were installed in "87), and MD 61 1769 for '88. Maybe the '88 vacuum advance is for the revised '88/89 EFI ECU fuel maps. I don't know. However if I was going to upgrade to the '88/'89 distributor, I'd get and install the '88 one so I'd get the maximum factory '88/89 HP/Torque after spending the money for that year's EFI ECU and distributor. Why do I include the distributor cuz you don't know what year vacuum advance was installed by the PO's of that used distributor that you bought.

Also replace the '87 ignitor with the '89 0ne. The '87 ignitor is prone to failure when you least expect it.

I'd also remove Fuse Boxes 1 & 2; all of the engine house relays and their relay boxes, CTS, ICS/MPS, TPS, steering column coupler, turbo/actuator, radiator assembly and damn near everything else in the engine house, and keep 'em as spares. WHY? Cuz they are no longer available from Mitsu.

For What It's Worth.

KEN