accel probs

ramz28

Ok so heres the new issue. I fixed all the vac line i think. I am now able to start and it idles good. About 1000rpm. Stock boost gauge reads about -10. If i step on the gas it bogs and cuts off. If i ease on the throttle it will go to 3500 and cut and shut off. The boost gauge only moves to -5. Ive been able to move in first gear very very carefully. Just easing on the throttle. What should i be looking for? Vac advance? Timing? Thanks

So update. Got a new vac advance and installed. Checked timing at idle and its 10btdc. When reving, it gets to 3k rpm and it bogs and cuts off. It will hold idle fine 900-1000. What should i be looking for? Thanks

Secondary injector might not be working.

Check both injector clips for corrosion.

Also there is a screen between the fuel pump and gas tank.

Some times it gets clogged.

Edited by importwarrior

Just did the fuel pump. Blew the lines out and cleaned tank as much as possible. Cleaned the screen and removed the little filter cone. Ill check injectors and clips tomorrow.

Just read a topic on cleaning and checking the mechanical advance. Ill atempt that tomorrow.. i have a spare dist from a parts car. Maybe ill clean and rebuild that.

Just remember not all distributors are the same. They have different weights on the advance and are designed to work best with certain fuel maps. Check the numbers on the dizzy and google them. There is a thread with which numbers go with which car

sounds like injector problem , before you start pulling stuff start the car let it worm up , then try to rev the car to 2500 RPM then unplug the primary injector , the car should rev with out primary injector if it stutters and cut off or buck then its your secondary also did you reset the timing with the advanced unplug? whats your fuel pressure , should be 38-40 psi at idle http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/nycain/IMG_20130916_133853.jpg Edited by nycain

I did set timing without the advance. And i didnt check fuel pressure. After i installed the pump i pulled the line to the tb and put it in a bucket. Tapped the fuel test connector and confirmed it was pumping. Seemed pretty strong but ill put a gauge on it later. Thanks guys

The way I tested my injectors. It may not be the best way but it worked for me. I unhooked the secondary injector entirely and saw how it ran only running the one injector. After i determined there was no issues with the primary I unhooked the primary clip from the primary injector and hooked it to the secondary injector. Its something i tried in my driveway. It would run with either hooked up and gave me a idea if i had a leaky or bad injector. For me i had a junk primary injector. If your secondary injector is bad it could either be dumping fuel in when powered or not giving more fuel. With what u posted my theory is that when your secondary is kicking in its dumping fuel and flooding out the engine because if it was not working it would still run but just run lean.

Ok update.. just got a few min break to check the car.. car idles, when reving goes to 2500-300 and cuts off. I tried with just the primary injector and it runs ok. I unplugged the primary (black 1 near drivers fender) and the car does not start. I plugged that into the secondary same thing. If i unplug the primary while revving or idleing it cuts off. Im assuming my secondary is garbage.. also the tiny alan head plug on the tb can i remove that and install a fuel pressure fitting? Thanks

that be my guess. You can make a injector cleaner pretty cheaply to see if its a dirty injector issue. i made mine with a syring casing some wire 9V battery tape and a and carb cleaner. Here is how i made mine. It turned out my primary was too far shot in the long run and i had to replace. But this cost me under 20 bucks for everything and i reuse it whenever i want.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140567&st=60#entry1419341