Important to balance turbo after rebuild??

Fullbore576

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 14G with new wheels, bushings, o-rings etc. Should I be concerned with having the unit balanced afterwards, or should it be good to go and bolt it back on the car?

Thanx

Me personally, I'd pay the extra $60 or whatever to have it balanced.

To many variables to cause problems, if rebuilding anyway...go all the way and be sure.

The cost to balance is a lot less than the cost to replace IMO

-N8

Me personally, I'd pay the extra $60 or whatever to have it balanced.

To many variables to cause problems, if rebuilding anyway...go all the way and be sure.

The cost to balance is a lot less than the cost to replace IMO

-N8

why not just give them an extra $100 :) there is no process where you can bal the two assy's as one

and maintain any reliative posision between there re relationship,, that's has always been a way to

get extra $$$ from suckers who didn't know any better :)

why not just give them an extra $100 :) there is no process where you can bal the two assy's as one

and maintain any reliative posision between there re relationship,, that's has always been a way to

get extra $$$ from suckers who didn't know any better :)

Well, I guess consider me a sucker then Sir :) We're born every minute.

GPop Shop suggested it on my rebuild, and it hasn't detonated itself.

But one I scribed and rebuilt myself was history in about 1 hour.

IMO $60 well spent.

Like I said, I'd rather spend $60+ as opposed to having to put feelers out for another center section and some new wheels (last I checked , inducers alone were around $100).

Just offering up my opinion based on my experiences.

-N8

i did mine 2 years ago no problems ....just don't let them go 100.000 miles .... u push up boost 14 -15 psi that's hard on a 12 a .........,they are not hard to rebuield.......,before u blow them up........then its to late....,change oil 3000 miles. and don't run turbo hard and just turn off.... engine oil turns in to ( coke) that black soot Is burned oil and takes out bearings.in the whole car. my bearings were bellmouthed.in turbo. 80.000miles rebuield... .im going to do my dads turbo next and i will measure hole opening of old bearings and new..and shaft........the floting bearing can where out snail case bearing hole.bearing materal is harder than alum...will post up numbers when I get them...when soot from intake applys it self to turbine wheel that will take it out of balance too...once u touch side of snail case turbine is gone.....bent fins on wheel ....how can it be still balanced ... its not I worked for turbine shop in s/d that repaired turbines for apachie helocopers after we repair ever thing is baleced again..they don't whate for turbine to blow up...... they only have so many miles on them and then they are rebuield.... Edited by markhansenconquest

Well, looks like I can go either way on this one. There are no local shops that can perform this work. So it looks like its going back in.

Thanks guys.

the center brgs come in 3 sizes , depending on the wear , a std, a .005" , and a .010" brg set,, of

course you have to have the proper tools to bore out the center for the over sized brg's , this is where you need to have a turbo repair shop do the work

the shop only needs the turbo center section so shiping is not all that bad ,,but make darn sure the center is wraped and protected from the shiping damage that will ocure

I have a local guy ' Evergreen turbo " near Ocala, fl that does these all the time

You can always ask the people you bought the wheels from if they need to be balanced.

Good idea. Im sure they can give me the best answer. After all, its their parts i'm using.

Good idea. Im sure they can give me the best answer. After all, its their parts i'm using.

the turbine shaft is bal'd,,the compressor wheel is bal'd , as long as both are in balance there is no need to mate or bal the two units to each other,, in fact there is no way to do so

but in the end what ever makes you feel best , do it