Should I buy a Conquest?

I am 17 and I am looking to buy my second car. I am selling my '90 325i (which I loved) and I really want something new. There is a Conquest TSI for sale just down the road and I am REALLY interested in the car. The more I look into these cars, the more I want one. The one thing that is holding me back is something that my brothers friends told me. They are experienced when it comes to cars and they said that it would be difficult to find parts (especially new parts) and if I did, they would be very expensive. I would really love to have one of these cars but if that is the case with parts, I don't know if I can afford it at this point in my life (minimal income). How much truth is there to their standpoint on these cars? Are parts really that expensive and rare? Is it even realistic for me to consider this car? (If it is reasonable, I will probably return with tons more questions!)

Thanks in advance! :D

So, this will be your second car, but you are selling your first and this will be your only means of transportation? Make sure the car is running tip top before you rely just on this for your only vehicle.

Some parts are cheap and abundant and others are very scarce to almost non-existent or NLA from the manufacturer. SOme have to be sourced through dealers or even from Japan. However, if your car needs it, most likely someone here can point you in the right direction. It depends on what the car needs to determine if its good plan for you or not. This forum and a few others will become a life saver at times if you do decide to buy the car. Keep in mind that it is a 25+ yr old car that in most cases have been abused and neglected by most of the previous owners. Im not saying that is always the case, but it usually is with the majority of these cars. So, read up on what to look for when considering buying one. See if there is anyone in your area that has experience with em, and ask for help before you buy a car that can be a potential money pit. When taken care of and well maintained, these cars can last a really long time. We have some members that bought theirs new and have 300k+ miles on their cars. Its just like anything else in life, you will likely get out of it what you put into it, unless you are talking about money, then plan on feeling lucky to get 25% of that back from one of these cars. They don't hold much value in most cases. I hope that helps and Im sure you will get a ton of opinions, so just be aware that ALL you will be getting will be opinions, and YOU have to decide what is right for you. Good luck man and ask away with any more questions you have. Also, try to give some more specifics on the exact car you are looking at. It will help us give you a realistic value for the car, so you don't take a bath on it right up front.

BC_99

Edit: BTW, it is so nice to see a young person take the time to use correct grammar and punctuation. Thank you for that. It's much easier to read, when someone actually uses real English.

Edited by BC_99
  • Like 1

i will be frank upfront and down right honest with you,this car is high maintainence even though my english here is not perfect by far my experience lays from the time i was 16 to now which i am 40,sweeeeet cars to dress up and tinker with and show off every now and then,but to have as a daily driver?better have deep pockets,thease kind of cars are mint to be played with not driven daily unless you have the funds to back up any issues at anytime, electrical issues are common,parking brake going out common,there are multiple common problems,but even though i am 40,i have 2 conquest 1 is my show car the other a every now and then sunday driver,take it for what it's worth,thease cars are fun to tinker with and as a hobby but daily driving you would have better realibilty out of a 3 cylinder geo metro from 94 that gets 43 mpg,the engines in those cars are built solid and are used to build small private byplanes with,hey it's all about how you maintain your vehicles,who owns that one now?and how many in the past?so much to rely on when making a decision about having a daily driver to get you back and forth from work..................................

Edit: BTW, it is so nice to see a young person take the time to use correct grammar and punctuation. Thank you for that. It's much easier to read, when someone actually uses real English.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the compliment!

I also really appreciate other responses as well. They gave me a lot of insight into what it means to own one of these cars. I am still considering it, but I feel much more confident with my knowledge than I felt before. Also, sorry I don't have very many details. Last time I talked to the woman, I only asked her if it was for sale still because the "For Sale" sign wasn't on it anymore. I will try to stop by tomorrow to get more details.

Thanks guys!

I daily my quest during the summer, but I'd recommend having a second car just in case. I've had to leave my quest sit for a week sometimes waiting on parts. If you can pick up an extremely well cared for example, you could probably make it work. The other thing to keep in mind is that if you let someone do the work for you it will likely be expensive and not perfect unless the person doing the work owns one.

I guess overall I'd recommend caution and a level head which you've shown an example of with the way you're approaching this.

If you get some details on the car, some of the more experienced members can certainly give you an idea if it's feasible; they can also probably give you an idea of what questions to ask and where to find the answers.

Ill be point blank honest, own one of these cars only if its for fun, as a daily driver id be very hesitant, These cars look great, handle like a dream, but are always in need of something.

I will certainly let you have first dibs on it Nirros, but where is the car located in WA? Im in the Tacoma area, I might go take a look at it, but I certainly wont jump on it out of respect to you if you are indeed considering it. Thanks

I will certainly let you have first dibs on it Nirros, but where is the car located in WA? Im in the Tacoma area, I might go take a look at it, but I certainly wont jump on it out of respect to you if you are indeed considering it. Thanks

Thanks man, the car is in Olympia. If you want a more specific answer just pm me.

When I got my conquest I had to put a lot of money into it. But my case was different as I bought a torn apart shell. After it was assembled I had to get a new clutch, flywheel, all new fluids, new brakes, all sorts of stuff.

But after a year or so I had a solid running platform. No more cutting off, decent fuel economy, rode nice too. I have had this car for 4+ years now as my daily driver. Only twice was it down for more than a day but less than a week.

Simple to work on, most parts a fairly cheap, and fun to show off.