oil pump

allen405

If a guy was looking to get a new oil pump where could he go? I see most of the auto stores don't carry them.

I put up a question awhile ago about oil pressure but nobody could really answer it. So I got to ask again.

I want to install a manual oil pressure gauge so I can monitor the oil pressure a little better. Does anyone have an idea what the pressure is supposed to be , say at idle for instance?

Rock auto has the pump listed in their catalog. SQ oil pumps are expensive.

Pressure at warm idle should be around 20 PSI. Warm and revving, max pressure should be around 80 PSI. Cold idle will be higher and cold revving can be around 100 PSI.

Randy (Dad) sells them new. Pressure depends on a lot of factors. BSEK's can change your numbers drastically, other factors to consider are: oil weight, climate, engine mileage, other engine mods, ect. I believe I read on here somewhere that a stock SQ engine at warm idle has somewhere between 15-20 psi per the FSM. Obviously higher at higher rpm.

BC_99

Does it bolt up if its the wrong one?

Yes it does bolt up. The difference is that the non-turbo pump doesn't have a location to attach the sump because non-turbos have a mid/rear sump. The front sump turbo version unfortunately about $250 where the non-turbo is about $60.

Edit: Here is a picture comparing the two.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/mechengrkj/StarionPump_zpsaf9173c0.jpg

Edit: The correct part number for the Sealed Power pump is 224-41915 and for the non-turbo one it is 224-41914.

Edited by mechengrkj

I found the Mitsu part to be cheaper by FAR than the pump my machinist was going to use. Probably a sealed power or some such thing. I think the AM part was going to be over $300. I can't locate my file at the moment but I know it was very reasonable.

Oops, yup the one posted above - well over $300.

Edited by Edde

What's a good oil pressure gauge?

IMHO, Autometer mechanical gauges are the way to go, however just about any mechanical oil pressure gauge will work. Just depends on if you want it to be backlit, colored lighting, carbon fiber gauge faces, indiglo needles, ect....lots of options to choose from with gauges.

BC_99