87 starion sputtering..

gabea101

When i try to give it alot of gas....it starts to sputter. Especially going down the highway and the press the pedal to kick it into passing gear and it sputters.

I notice on the turbo gage it starts to sputter at the 3 mark approx....

What can I check?

What year? Sounds like its an auto?

Oops, did the 87 run the injectors at the same time, or was it like the later years, running the primary first, then secondary as fuel demand increased?

Edited by SFBMX88

Wideband is a Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) sensor that tells you how rich or lean you are. As suggested above, since you don't have a wideband to check your leanness/richness, check the wiring and secondary injector. Have you replaced your injector clips or are they original? You can buy them from Dad.

it's hard to clean them yourself. there's a way you run a strong mixture through them and pressurized and pulse them using a 9v. but it's worth just sending them off to be cleaned. check out Hurst Injector Service. I had him do mine and the guy was AWESOME. I think I paid like $32 and he kept in touch the entire time to give me updates on the progress and he's really easy to deal with. I know he's cheaper than most and he does top notch work.

as for clips, I don't mean to take business from locals and guys here on the forum that serve us well, but I got some EV1 quick disconnects from eBay from the states and they're great quality, they clip and seal well, and it was only $10 for 4 clips with pigtails. it's up to you. I can provide the link for the clips I got if you decide to go eBay route. for the record...Randy sells great products and is a great guy and I support him entirely.

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

it's hard to clean them yourself. there's a way you run a strong mixture through them and pressurized and pulse them using a 9v. but it's worth just sending them off to be cleaned. check out Hurst Injector Service. I had him do mine and the guy was AWESOME. I think I paid like $32 and he kept in touch the entire time to give me updates on the progress and he's really easy to deal with. I know he's cheaper than most and he does top notch work.

as for clips, I don't mean to take business from locals and guys here on the forum that serve us well, but I got some EV1 quick disconnects from eBay from the states and they're great quality, they clip and seal well, and it was only $10 for 4 clips with pigtails. it's up to you. I can provide the link for the clips I got if you decide to go eBay route. for the record...Randy sells great products and is a great guy and I support him entirely.

- Charles

What is the link for the clips? Thanks for the info.

What year? Sounds like its an auto?

Oops, did the 87 run the injectors at the same time, or was it like the later years, running the primary first, then secondary as fuel demand increased?

Same time injector firing ended with 86. 87-89 use the same system and injectors but ECU was changed in 88-89.

Wideband is a Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) sensor that tells you how rich or lean you are. As suggested above, since you don't have a wideband to check your leanness/richness, check the wiring and secondary injector. Have you replaced your injector clips or are they original? You can buy them from Dad.

I replaced the clips with new ones but the car is sputtering when I stomp on it....what else can I check?

as stated before, if the clips don't fix the issue then send the injectors off to be cleaned. Hurst Injector Service is a great place. awesome guy, very good pricing, top notch work, and very quick turnaround. hurstinjectorservice.com. Even if the injectors turn up being fine it's still not a bad thing to have done for reassurance. I mean it's only $35 after payment and the small shipping fee.

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

How long had this been going on? Just recent or what?

recent...about 1 month. Another symptom is driving it and losing total power for about 1 sec then it kicks back in and then does it again with 1 sec intervals for about 20-30 secs....

as stated before, if the clips don't fix the issue then send the injectors off to be cleaned. Hurst Injector Service is a great place. awesome guy, very good pricing, top notch work, and very quick turnaround. hurstinjectorservice.com. Even if the injectors turn up being fine it's still not a bad thing to have done for reassurance. I mean it's only $35 after payment and the small shipping fee.

- Charles

I will change the fuel filter this weekend and if that does not help...I will probably contact hurst....Thanks again