engine temps

huero

I wondering if my thermostat is working properly. When driving around it gets about 1/4 of the way up. when it sits withought moving it gets half way up at most( on the temp gauge) So it shows everything is fine, and everything seems to be running fine, but when I open the hood, it radiates heat like crazy. Its been consistent over the past year, no fluctuations or anything, always 1/4 way up the gauge when driving and 1/2 way tops while sitting for a while. Is this normal? It just seems like the gauge may not be giving an accurate reading or something. Is the motor normally this hot and Im just over cautious or is it an issue? It gets to the point that I dont want to take off the power steering cap without using a rag or something after about 20 -30 min of driving.

Sounds fine to me. These engines pour some heat off of them and they seem to feel hotter with the hood opened than other cars. Maybe from the turbo sitting up on top or something, I don't know why they feel so much hotter, I just know they do LOL
  • Like 1

Ok, cool. And thanks. I was kind of sure that it was ok since it has been so consistent with the way it reads and drives. But Im at the point now where (fingers crossed and knock on wood) I have things running like they should be all the time. So I just wanted to be sure. I suppose that does make sense though. The outlet temps are above 1200 degrees or something like that on the turbo exhaust? Isnt that part of why the wideband O2 sensor has to be so far back?

Not sure, I'm no mechanic. I just know my gauge reads pretty much exactly as yours does in similar scenarios, and has for going on 10 years now. Never had a problem other than feeling like my face was being burned by fire when I open the hood when the engine's hot.
  • Like 1

lol, yeah thats about what its like. So it sounds like what I'm experiencing is just me being new to the starquest platform. It was one of those things that seems fine, but I just want to make sure Im not missing some small detail that makes a world of difference. Butif yours is the same way for a decade then I should be good to go. I would rather ask and look like a tard than blow up my motor and prove that Im a tard for missing something dumb...

lol, yeah thats about what its like. So it sounds like what I'm experiencing is just me being new to the starquest platform. It was one of those things that seems fine, but I just want to make sure Im not missing some small detail that makes a world of difference. Butif yours is the same way for a decade then I should be good to go. I would rather ask and look like a tard than blow up my motor and prove that Im a tard for missing something dumb...

True dat!

Very normal, no worries. Yeah the high mounted turbo radiates heat for a long time, that's why these came with a heat shield under the hood as well as shields around the turbo, make sure you keep the shielding as it protects vital parts.
  • Like 1

Yeah, Ive been reading as much as I can on here and in the manual and what not, but this is still my first Starion. like to think I'm doing a good job with everything I have done so far. But reading only goes so far, so I like to make sure and check with the experienced guys. Thanks again for dealing with my questions.

my fan sensors for the radiator are both 185 on i believe.

when my fans kick on my gauge is a 1/8th to a 1/4 inch above the half mark.

or about 2/3rd s on the gauge from cold to hot. verified the temp of the radiator

and it seems to match the sensor on temp when the fans kick on.

on a side note i dont know of any other car that has melted a plastic bumper from exhaust heat coming out of the tail pipe either. be sure to make sure the end of the pipe comes just past the bumper or yours will melt as well.

Edited by importwarrior