help squealing turbo!

I have an 89 conquest. Manual. Everything on this engine is still stock. When I give on the gas and boost kicks in I believe the turbo squeals. The boost will only hit 7 on my gauge. Is that normal? Our should there be more? Is there anything I can do to stop that? Is the turbo shot? The car has 101k miles. Any idea? I just feel it should be giving more boost and the car quicker. Does anyone have the same problem. Anyone have a turbo to sell? A decent one? Thanks for the help

Turbo squealing is usually cause by the compressor wheel touching the housing under boost. Remove the Turbo's inlet

hose/tube and inspect the compressor wheel and housing for marks of contacts. If it is touching, you'll see scrape marks all around the inside of the housing, where the compressor wheel spins.

Too much shaft play in the turbo will cause this which means its shot.

Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

Yes they sell rebuild kits. But if u Dnt know to rebuild it doesn't do any good. It's pretty easy just watch YouTube. The rebuild kit is like $50 to $100 depending where u buy. Then it will have to be sent out to balance $35. I bought my kit from eBay and did it my self. Cost me little less then $90 for kit and have it balanced. Second option sent out turbo for a shop to rebuild it $200-$275. Or u can buy a new turbo. Much more $$$

I have had the same problem. First with a new rebuilt turbo which didn't last a day. Then I took the stock turbo off of my multiplier project that is out of commission currently. Same problem. 2 turbos in 2 days! One was the compressor side hitting and the other was on the exhaust side so you may have to take off the down pipe if you don't see anything on the compressor side. I would not go the route of a rebuild kit. I have been doing turbos for a while and have never seen the rebuild kits work out well. If you have the $$ go with a ball bearing turbo. Well worth the $$ for the upgrade. My 2 cents. Thx for listening. Hope it helps