6 bolt axle swap help

no, you need a new rear diff and axle shafts. EVERYTHING about a 6bolt is different than a 4bolt except for the structural supports.

Better question, why do you want to go to 6 bolts? Do you need some 4 bolts? I can help you out there.

Edited by Funky Phil

no, those are what people refer to as axles (driveshafts or half-shafts). Thats the easy part.

Internally, the 6bolt (88-89) and 4bolt (pre 88) differentials themselves are different. So youll need one from an 88-89.

The the axle shafts, are the pieces that the bolts (6 or 4 depending on year) go through and actually spin the tire.

You basically have "B", you still need "A" and "C" if that makes sense.

This guy has been asking the same question over and over and over again.... members have been telling him he needs to swap the entire LSD from 4bolt to 6 for it to all work but he is choosing to ignore them and continue posting the same crap....fyi

< Thread jack. You got some extra 4-bolts Philup? Lemme git em.

Still looking for 4 bolt axels?

I know the axel fairy dropped on off in you car port a few months ago.

just sayin' :)

DUDE!!!!! Were you in town? Why didn't you tell me...I literally had no idea where that came from.....I thought I was going crazy1!!!!!!

I was just passing through on 75, heading to albany, or orlando, or somewhere I can't remember. When I was the axel in a box I moved I remembered that you asked about one way back. So I threw it in the truck and made a quick stop. I meant to pm you, but never did.

I guess that is enough thread jacking for now.

Sorry to the original poster.

I guess this story boils down to this and ill try to make it as concise as I can: in order to convert a 4bolt car to 6 bolt, it is not simply just swaping the axel half shafts. The inboard stubs of the 6bolt axel will not fit into the 4bolt diff, and the the 6olt outboard flange cannot be bolted to the 4bolt hub.

The easiest, least labor intensive, and probably lest costly in the long run, is to grab a complete rear subframe out of an 88-89 car and then slap it into your car. I have done this in the past and pulled the subframe myself at a pull a part yard. Entire thing cost me $200 or so for everything including torque tube, diff, cross members, arms, axels, hubs, brakes, struts. But its heavy as hell, so you better be a beast like me, or bring some friends.

The good thing is that even though you bought the wrong axels with those 6bolts, you should be able to resell them and not lose money.

Good luck with the project man, im sure it will be awesome when its done :)

Edited by nomad