Tires to Rims...ideas?

So it's getting to close to needing new tires. I've been pretty happy with my BF Goodrich's in terms of performace since I've had them. But, they only last so long! Now that it's coming down to it I've been thinking about some things. I've known about people putting tires on the stock rims that are wider than Mitsubishi recommends.

I have stock non-shp rims and was wondering what the best size would be to get the best amount of performance without being out of balance with the amount of tire roll. Obviously the wider the tire the more grip. However, it means the more tire roll it has too. Anyone have any recommendations for this? Should I just stick with the stock sizes or maybe up the width a little more? Keep in mind I'm trying to keep the diameter of the tire for Speedo measures. Give me some imput tire guys!

- Charles

P.S. I'm NOT asking about tire BRANDS. I have my preference. However, list the brand if, and ONLY IF, it relates to the primary question. For example, a wider tire with the tire inset like you would get from Eagle F1's. The inner bead is beveled in from the side wall giving more covereage with no addition stress on the bead.

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

Keep the rear the same as stock, or go to the 245/45 (which are getting harder and harder to find reasonably priced, but step down a profile on the front, so it doesn't look taller than the rear.

So 245/45 and 225/45

or 225/50 and 205/50

Those combos will look better with the car slightly lowered too

Awesome! I know some guys around here that can easily find me some 245/45s for a good price. The question to that though is would it cause too much tire roll, therefore decreasing the stability/feel in cornering?

- Charles

\. The question to that though is would it cause too much tire roll, therefore decreasing the stability/feel in cornering?

- Charles

That will vary tire to tire, some will have a stiffer sidewall than others. The sumitomos I had in SHP sizes (no longer available) had a soft sidewall, and when pushed near it's limit, I could feel the car wiggle with my slightest adjustments to the steering wheel.

Very true. I've been looking at Continental's. Probably Extreme Contact DW or ContiSportContact 5 P. I've heard about the DW's having tough sidewalls but haven't heard much about the 5P's. But, continental's are good tires all around for the most part. As long as you don't get the granny tires. :P The hard part is going to be finding that size tire by continental. It seems the only rim size that they offer with that combo is 17" rims and above. So, I'm going to have to find another good brand with stiff sidewalls.

It was more of a worry though that because the tread is wider than the rim then the sidewall will sit at such an angle that it will create an excessive amount of roll. Am I correct for assuming this or not?

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

I run 205's all around on 8's, which i know lots of guys think is too skinny, but it suits how I drive.

tire performance is going to come down to what the tire is made out of and what it's designed for, more than just tire width.

pure grip is a function of vehicle weight and tire air pressure.

tire width determines the SHAPE of the contact patch, but not necessarily (not directly) the amount of grip you will have.

225/45 and a 205/50 will work pretty damn well and are available in performance designs and materials, and cost about average, and will look good on stock 8 and 7 respectively, but like derek said, your car should be lowered, otherwise these tires might look too small

Edited by patra_is_here

I run 205's all around on 8's, which i know lots of guys think is too skinny, but it suits how I drive.

tire performance is going to come down to what the tire is made out of and what it's designed for, more than just tire width.

pure grip is a function of vehicle weight and tire air pressure.

tire width determines the SHAPE of the contact patch, but not necessarily (not directly) the amount of grip you will have.

225/45 and a 205/50 will work pretty damn well and are available in performance designs and materials, and cost about average, and will look good on stock 8 and 7 respectively, but like derek said, your car should be lowered, otherwise these tires might look too small

To a degree this is true. But, tire width has a direct impact on the grip when it comes down to it. More width means more tire on the road which means more tire to grab the pavement which means less of a chance of the tire letting go at an equivalent speed as a skinnier tire. Although, the tire construction DOES make a HUGE difference. The softer the side wall, the more roll and the worse the car will handle cause the momentum will throw the car more and more suddenly than if it had tires with stiffer sidewalls.

I guess now that I'm down to it, what's a tire brand that has a nice, very stiff side wall that I could find 245/45s in? I can't get over Continentals, but they don't have the 245/45 in 16's :(

- Charles

To a degree this is true. But, tire width has a direct impact on the grip when it comes down to it. More width means more tire on the road which means more tire to grab the pavement which means less of a chance of the tire letting go at an equivalent speed as a skinnier tire. Although, the tire construction DOES make a HUGE difference. The softer the side wall, the more roll and the worse the car will handle cause the momentum will throw the car more and more suddenly than if it had tires with stiffer sidewalls.

I guess now that I'm down to it, what's a tire brand that has a nice, very stiff side wall that I could find 245/45s in? I can't get over Continentals, but they don't have the 245/45 in 16's :(

- Charles

yeah man I agree. it's just that, there's a point when your tires get too wide that your contact patch becomes like a long thin rectangle, and then cornering may distort the contact patch shape in an odd way. you might have a long thin rectangle which will work ok from straight ahead grip, but not necessarily for cornering grip

also, if your tires are too wide, you're not going to get them up to temp without the proper amount of downforce (example, formula one cars have almost no grip when driving slow compared to their peak grip). . hell, a too wide street tire might not ever get warn enough to grip right.

there's a lot of dynamics that play into tire selection, so I'm just offering up things that should be considered. i'm sure 245's will do fine.

Edited by patra_is_here

That's a good point about the warmth. But seeing as 245's are near the shp size then it shouldn't be any worse than if I were to have shp's. Any suggestion on a brand that has a good sidewall for the 245 and 225 setup?

- Charles

The seems too easy! Where's the fun in that?! :ph34r:

But really... that's an option. I just wasn't sure if someone had any recommendations for these cars in particular. Some reviews and studies can be relevant to a certain car or group but when it comes to YOUR car then most of the time you want a recommendation from someone who owns the same car to get more accurate feedback.

- Charles