S13 front suspension swap in a Z31. SQ possibility, How-to.

Fuze

Ghetto Garage Silvia/240SX front suspension swap how-to.

I've been researching this subject because I almost bought a turbo 89 Z31 and wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't stance it. Now I have not tried this on a Starion, but as you can see from the link, the front suspensions are the same type of cartridge insert struts with the spindles attached, and stamped steel LCA's.

What the Z31 (80's 300ZX) guys do is the "cut the strut" mod, or they swap in S13/S14/S15 parts. (Very few coilover options, just like us) There is a kit that consists of the lower weldable tube part of the coilover like our D2's have, that allows the use of S13 coilovers with the stock Z31 setup the same way D2's install into a Starion.. food for thought if you want more coilover options.

Apparrently the different car models' parts are interchangeable. What needs to be swapped is everything attached to the LCA, including LCA, brake, brake rotor, and strut/coilover. The stock brakes and rotors are better than what's on a SQ. The options opened up by this swap are many, including Silvia/240SX brake/rotors upgrades, coilovers, etc. If you already had D2's, you could get the lower Silvia mounts and screw them on. Ebay is also full of Silvia coilovers, new and used.

The front track is widened on the Z31 by the S13 parts, so if we were to try this we would need to compare LCA lengths and front control rod bolt holes. I don't know how they compare but they are likely close to the Z31's, and things can be improvised. The link shows a four bolt S13 hub being used, but the 5 bolt ones bolt right in as well.

Thoughts?

I was gonna do this if I had gotten a mx83 Cressida but got a deal on '02 wrx wagon for my family car

Cressidas are so sweet. Yeah, basically 90% of 80's Japanese cars have the same front suspension.

I have thought about trying to use 240 adjustable radius rods.

Probably pretty easy to do but MK1 does make them for the Starion.

Mookeeh tension rods eBay

Already been done.

Everything's been done, but nobody knows about it. With Starions having the same challenges as most other 80's cars, it makes sense to put this out there so people can think outside the Starion box. If you have a link please post it so other ppl can benefit?

What I may do in the near future is to bolt the 240sx hub assembly to our lower control arms. There isn't really a need to use the 240 control arms (I have boxed my control arms alread). From there it would be simple to weld on brackets to d2 or mookeeh coilovers to attactch the hub assembly. That seems to be simplest way to go about getting a big brake kit that will not require hacking the 240 stuff to fit.

What I may do in the near future is to bolt the 240sx hub assembly to our lower control arms. There isn't really a need to use the 240 control arms (I have boxed my control arms alread). From there it would be simple to weld on brackets to d2 or mookeeh coilovers to attactch the hub assembly. That seems to be simplest way to go about getting a big brake kit that will not require hacking the 240 stuff to fit.

OK let's look...

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/imag/FLCA_1.jpg

http://www.240sxpartsonline.com/images/parts/front-spindle-lh-02.jpg

The 240 LCA's have the ball joints mounted in them directly, so if the ball joint is similar to ours, you may be able to drop the S14 hub assembly right down onto it.

This page shows a Z31 guy using S13 front coliovers and welding them up just like we do our D2's. Meaning, any S13 coilover can be used on a starion with the cut/strut mod.

More Z31 coilover tricks

These guys swapped the S13 front suspension into a Volvo. Looks way easier to put this into a Starion.

Volvo S13 front suspension swap

Edited by Fuze

Cant remember his screen name. If I remember correctly he started projectzerog website.

Here it is. No pics or details though, and it seems like this was written before the swap...

Project Zero G steering rack page

Any kit offered would basically need to include the steering linkage, fluid lines, maybe weld-on brackets?

OK let's look...

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/imag/FLCA_1.jpg

http://www.240sxpartsonline.com/images/parts/front-spindle-lh-02.jpg

The 240 LCA's have the ball joints mounted in them directly, so if the ball joint is similar to ours, you may be able to drop the S14 hub assembly right down onto it.

This page shows a Z31 guy using S13 front coliovers and welding them up just like we do our D2's. Meaning, any S13 coilover can be used on a starion with the cut/strut mod.

Just as you posted our LCA is very similar in design to the 240. The knuckle/hub assemble/whatever you want to call it should mount to our ball joints pretty easily and the camber plates are very similar is design so maybe the holes just need to be open up a little. The only things I have a question about is would the camber be in a range that could be adjusted to spec and is the strut length close.

Just as you posted our LCA is very similar in design to the 240. The knuckle/hub assemble/whatever you want to call it should mount to our ball joints pretty easily and the camber plates are very similar is design so maybe the holes just need to be open up a little. The only things I have a question about is would the camber be in a range that could be adjusted to spec and is the strut length close.

From what I hear we could use the 240 plates and maybe just enlarge one of the holes. The angle of the strut mount in relation to the spindle on the 240 piece looks like it's in the ballpark. I'm going to research some other possible swap options here.

• 11 years later...