Starting question

Matthewr1

Ok guy I have been putting together this car that another person took apart and did some really weird s*** to! Well I got it all back together finally or what I thought. I went to crank it and I turned the key and nothing. So I started looking and he put a push start button under the dash ok but how he wired it was by adding another starter seloniod and running all the wires to bypass the factory start by powering the push start and running another wire from the added seloniod to the little clip on the actual starter and I can't seem to find the factory wires to put it back but I also can't seem tk get the car to crank. I know this is kinda hard to understand but any advice will be better then none guys!

Pictures speak 1,000 words. I would suggest you take clear pictures of what was done, and I don't mean odd angle camera phone pictures. Something where we can actually see what is what in the pictures and I'll bet it will go a long way in helping you figure out your wiring issues.

Lets see them :)

I don't know how to post pics on here yet. But there is a external seloniod mounted on the firewall that has a wire to the battery, a wire to the push start button and, a wire to the seloniod on the starter. All the wires are 14 gauge wire so not real big. But it does turn the car over ok

You are looking for a black/yellow single wire. its a bit heaver than the temp sensor wires nearby wich are all the same gauge & mosty yellow /+?. good luck.

I don't know how to post pics on here yet. But there is a external seloniod mounted on the firewall that has a wire to the battery, a wire to the push start button and, a wire to the seloniod on the starter. All the wires are 14 gauge wire so not real big. But it does turn the car over ok

Does the above mean that the starter is turning the engine over but it won't start?

I strongly suggest that you down load the FSM and review the starting circuit schematic - especially at the ignition switch. ;)

Remove your ignition switch from the column and look at the wiring to and from it to see if it corresponds to what's shown on the schematic - then compare it to what you've got.

The extra starter solenoid is an old "trick" that was used for the '50's & '60's VW vans that had 6 volt electrical systems and over time, the electrical wiring/connectors degraded in the long run of wiring from the ignition switch in the front of the van to the starter solenoid in the back by the engine.

For What It's Worth

KEN

Asking this question for the second time.

In your OP you say that when you "went to crank it and I turned the key and nothing."

In reply #3 you say, "But it does turn the car over ok."

Is or is not the starter rolling the engine over when you go to start on the ignition switch?

Gotta know this to determine if the problem is in the auto tranny starter circuit, ignition circuit or the fuel system circuit.

Help us make trouble shooting your problem easier.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

The key won't crank the car at all because there are wires not connected to the starter(can't find them either) but the push button will! The littler wire that connects to the starter from tge actual car is missing(At least from what I can see) I'm trying to track it down to connect it to find out if it will crank or start thy car and he just bypassed it for no reason or if there was a problem and they bypassed it because of a problem but someone posted earlyer the color of the wire I need to look for but still can't find it.

OK, you've got an auto tranny. If you look at FSM page 8-45 it shows you that the starter inhibitor circuit is energized from the ST pole of the ignition switch.

First of all download the '88 FSM.

See FSM page 21-103 for the location of the starter inhibitor switch.

See FSM page 8- 104 & 105 for the location of the starter inhibitor relay.

Review page 8-45 for the power supply wire color codes from the ignition switch's ST pole to the switch and relay.

Check Start inhibitor switch IAW page 21-72.

Check Starter Inhibitor relay IAW FSM page 8- 132.

As you are turning the engine over with the starter button, is the dash tac twitching; is the fuel pump running ? Remove the inspection plate over the pump in the rear hatch flooring and put your hand on it. Do you have spark to the plugs?

Is the fuel pump running if the ignition switch is in the run position?

The whole point of the above is to determine if the starter inhibitor circuit is bypassed or fully operational and working correctly, ignition circuit and the fuel pump are energized when the start button is pushed and the engine is rolling over. Also to see if the fuel pump is energized in the ignition switch RUN position.

Let us know what you find.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PM me if you need help.

Had another brain fart. :wacko:

Try pushing in the start button while going to start on the ignition switch.

If she starts or tries to that makes trouble shooting and repair a whole hell of a lot easier.

I am assuming that she won't start if the ignition switch is in the run position while you are pushing the start button - right?

For What It's Worth.

KEN

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, you need to check fuel delivery and spark. You are just trying to get it to fire up right now, so just focus on the basics. Your engine needs air, fuel, and a good spark to ignite it. As long as you have those three things and the timing isnt off she should at least start. Good luck

Hey guys I haven't been able to work on the starion for a while but I just put a new fuel pump, plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. But all it does it turn over dosnt crank. But I will get out maybe tonight or tomorrow and do somemore on this. I'm dying to drive it!