Weird sound when letting off gas

88tsi_lover

Thanks to you guys car is running a lot better. Since I'm driving it more I noticed something odd today that i have been ignoring. Noise always there but starting to fix all the little things I wanted to get done. When I'm driving car and have to let off gas the transmission makes a rough and loud noise and I can feel the car vibrate all over until I push the clutch. Once the clutch pedal down car just slowly decelerates without that noise. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in. If I let off gas pedal for whatever reason and noise present the moment I push gas pedal again the noise is gone or if I put in neutral at any speed the noise goes away too. Any ideas on what's causing that noise? Edited by 88tsi_lover

It's weird, because it sounds like your clutch is pissed off for not giving it enough gas, which is why it shakes a lot. That is the engine being starved and needing gas, but that should only happen when you are going into first, or reversing, because you shouldn't be on the clutch for barely any time at all between all the other gears. I'm no pro, just my thoughts on the matter. Edited by MasterVivi

I will check all that out Wednesday night hopefully but what exactly should I look for in those locations? Vivi thanks for your input. It happens in All the gears only when I let off the gas. My truck is stick shift, older than hell but doesn't make the vibrating or loud noise. It just slowly decelerates.

Take a prybar and try prying up the back of the transmission.

It is moves, take a look at the rubber portion of the mount to the cross member.

http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/_10/9273/9272608.jpg

To check the u-joints, support the rear of the car so the tires are off the ground and free to rotate.

I usually start by putting the trans in nuetral then rotate the drive shaft feeling for notchy feel.

I then try prying the driveshaft in various direction while looking for movement.

If I really suspect the U-joints, I'll pull the driveshaft off and see if the joints feel notchy.

If you notice the pinion for the torque tube moving while prying on the driveshaft, the bearing would be bad in the torque tube.

To check the differential mounts, take your prybar and try moving the differential up and look at the mounts to see if they are separating.

There are also mounts at the front of the torque tube that wear out.

Oh, BTW also use jack stands while you are under the car.

Edited by Richie_Rich