POR15 on aluminum

Killtodie

Thanks Shelby, as I replied to you other thread, I'm aware that all metal surfaces need to be coated with WD40 right after washing to prevent rust.

I imagine the outside of the engine will get a rust cover fast, that's why I want to use POR15 on it, its designed to be applied to a rusty surface and will stick to it better than any prep+primer ever will.

I still need to order my quart so I'm not tanking my spare block anytime soon. IF I do end up using it, it needs to be bored and decked so my only concern is keeping the rust out of the coolant passages.

POR15 is design'd to cover a surface rust not scaly rust and they recomend treating bare metal with a metal prep befor coating with POR15

lets take the rusty area in your oil pan,,useing some thing like "the works" drain cleaner will remove the rust , it has acid in the cleaner,, once the rust is gone you need to cover the rust'd area with a metal prep, alow to dry befor use

take care not to get any of the works on any alum , it'l eat alum and turn it a dull color

in fact check any cleaner use'd for acid in it or it'l dull any alum parts you clean with it

purple stuff,, green stuff, white lighting etc all have a little acid in them and will cause alum parts to have a dull finesh to them once they are clean'd useing it

in fact check any cleaner use'd for acid in it or it'l dull any alum parts you clean with it

purple stuff,, green stuff, white lighting etc all have a little acid in them and will cause alum parts to have a dull finesh to them once they are clean'd useing it

Some of those cleaners do not and can not have acid in them. Purple power for example does not have acid. It's an alkaline cleaner. Alkaline as in a base, it neutralizes acid. But the alkaline solutions are extremely harmful to aluminum. Purple power will dissolve aluminum. Doesn't happen all that fast but you will see an aluminum part foam and bubble if you dunk it in purple power. I use it in my parts washer so I've seen what it does to aluminum.

The nice thing about purple power is since it's alkaline it neutralizes the acid in iron oxide. So even though it's mixed 50/50 with water in my parts washer steel parts left in there for a week wont rust.

Edited by ucw458