Totally Perplexed

badazzquest

My 88 is possessed. I got it from a buddy after he gave up on it. Stock set-up excluding a 1g MAF w/o a translator.

Here is a link to a previous post.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128843

I have recently installed a Walbro, Wideband AEM, new injectors from Lower Shores, removed a modded fuel rail with external FPR and reinstalled a stock set-up. Removed the jet valves. New injector clips. Different IAC. Tested and reset different TPS.

The car idles rough and low rpm until warm. At about 11 on the wideband. Minimal concern at this time. Probably weak IAC.

After it warms up it smooths out and idles 12-13 wideband.

The big problem is after you drive it or come off idle and pull up to a stop, it goes fully lean. The gauge off the scale for about 30 seconds and idles ruff. Then it will smooth out and idle back at 12-13 all day long until you rev it. Then back off the scale.

While driving it will randomly go full lean also while at constant throttle position and then after 30 sec or so it will go back into normal range.

At WOT it is at 10 on the wideband.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Being you replaced all parts related to fuel and the only other thing left is the ECU, have you tried replacing that?

I would try that and if that did not resolve the issue put it back to 100% stock and see what happens.

If that did not resolve it I would start to question injectors and things of that nature.

I swapped ECUs last year. I will change them back and throw the OE MAF back in and go from there.

The fuel system was totally cleaned btw.

All the grounds have been cleaned and checked also.

the 1g maf will make you idle rich, run rich and boost rich

where do you have the wideband o2 installed? you still have the stock o2 sensor hooked up right?

I get that it will run fat on the 1g maf......thats why when it goes so lean it confuses me.

I have the wideband installed underneath about 4-6" before the trans cross member

I have the ecm reading the wideband O2. Should I hook the heated O2 back up to the ecm?

Get the 1g maf outta there and try a stock one , ive tried 1g maf's before and i'm not a fan of them and neither are these cars , they really dont like them . :)

I have the ecm reading the wideband O2. Should I hook the heated O2 back up to the ecm?

I trust you're using the narrow band output from the wideband for the stock ECU?

I get that it will run fat on the 1g maf......thats why when it goes so lean it confuses me.

I have the wideband installed underneath about 4-6" before the trans cross member

hook the stock o2 back up, my 88 ecu didnt like the NB output from my wideband