12a turbo controlles itself.....? any ideas how or why?

As the title says, I have a 12a turbo from an 89' on my 83', and it boost to 8-9 lbs without any poblems, but then stays there....the kicker is there is no wastegate connected lol or air leaks. I have had a different 12a from an 89' on here before, and it boosed till 10 but was controlled with a wastegate, and would hit my fuel cut if i unplugged the wastegate so im at an awe here...any input would be great :)

-Andrew

wastegate is not hooked up at all and there is a plug on the center ovcp nipple where it would go...there is a wastegate, it is just all plugged up...idk why I just noticed it today when I thought something seemed off... Edited by 83Starion-11

ya, idk what is going on, im just going to run a line back to the wastegate like there should be haha, i was just wondering if anyone had any idea why or how a turbo can control its own boost at 8lbs haha. And ther are no intake manifold leaks or any other leaks going on.

I do have the secondary air pipe connected, and maybe, but I doubt it lol my cats are probably fried out lol, but that wont matter since i am putting on my exhaust today, so ill let you know if i find anything :) and i had no idea, i guess the last time i had the turbo hooked up it was connected to a 12psi wastegate. That could expalin it :)

What people are trying to tell you is that the actuator has a preload (basically a spring). That spring in the actuator will hold the wastegate shut under normal conditions until it is overwhelmed by exhuast backpressure acting on the wastegate. The point where the spring becomes overwhelmed is not related to boost pressure at all... it could be 5psi, it could be 10psi... it just depends on the spring, the exhuast backpressure, and the preload adjustment in the arm.

The job of the vacuum lines comming to the actuator is to force the actuator sping to follow boost pressure. Disconnect it and it won't.