o.k i am a virgin here at conquest cars i need a professional answer from all you pros..........

my 1989 runs alittle on the hot side do i install a 160 degree thermastat?

i am about to add clr to my radiator and try and remove as much calcium lime and rust as possible i was going

to add it then fill the rest with water and run it on 3000 rpm's for about 3 minutes then the other 2 minutes

normal,then shut it off and drain it all,then do a regular radiator flush then add hyper coolent which is

suppose to help keep the temperture down by 20 degrees and then finally add 50/50 antifreeze.............

anybody have any cheaper ideas then this to help bring the temperture down while running?

i already added an extra radiator fan that i swich on at red lights and stopped traffic........

I'm not sure about a 160. Factory is 195, I put a 185 in mine and it stays cooler except on the highway. But I just figured out mine got to hot on highway because by timing was way off. Do you have your a/c still? If not ditch that condenser up from so the radiator can get more air flow. Those are my ideas

The 180 t stat seems to be the best. Go through the rest of the system first. Make sure fans are working, clean the temp sensor connectors (or wire them together so they all come on at once) Make sure no clogged catylictic converter in the exhaust, no debris between a/c condensor and radiator, double check timing. Sounds like you get hot while stopped so that suggests a fan issue.

Sounds like your main fan is dying or not even coming on. If your radiator is good and the fans kick on then it should stay cool.

1. check if your main fan comes one. This is the one that is on the turbo side.

2. Then check if the secondary comes on. If this comes on and your car is still hot then you need to check other things

If you car is cool while running and only gets hot while in traffic or stopped then it seems like you have a fan issue.

o.k i am a virgin here at conquest cars i need a professional answer from all you pros..........

my 1989 runs alittle on the hot side do i install a 160 degree thermastat?

i am about to add clr to my radiator and try and remove as much calcium lime and rust as possible i was going

to add it then fill the rest with water and run it on 3000 rpm's for about 3 minutes then the other 2 minutes

normal,then shut it off and drain it all,then do a regular radiator flush then add hyper coolent which is

suppose to help keep the temperture down by 20 degrees and then finally add 50/50 antifreeze.............

anybody have any cheaper ideas then this to help bring the temperture down while running?

i already added an extra radiator fan that i swich on at red lights and stopped traffic........

like Alp247 said, you have some other issue that's causing you problems. Fans, radiator, water pump and or a blockage somewhere...these cars are not known for overheating problems if the cooling system is together. CLR??? get your radiator rodded, ghetto fixes don't work well these cars. Also you might want to check your mixture because a lean condition will make it run hot. Disconnect your battery and unplug your Coolant Temp Sensor and your Idle Speed Control, one lets the computer know if the car is warmed up and the other depresses the gas pedal to warm the car up, if either are failing it will make the car run hot especially if its hot where you are. If they are unplugged the computer will assume everything is running at optimal temperatures and not try to adjust anything to warm the engine.

If your engine wants to run 210* thats good.

As stated above, all a 160* will do is open sooner, taking longer to get into closed loop.

Also a cold cast iron block wears faster than a warm block.

At sea level, boil point of water 212*

For every Lb of pressure the rad cap holds on the coolant system, allow 3* over the boil point

As a rule of thumb, import rad caps are 13lbs and domestics 15/16lbs

so 13lb cap x 3* = 39*

39* + 212* =251*

So you are not boiling over till 251*

What temp is your car running?

like Alp247 said, you have some other issue that's causing you problems. Fans, radiator, water pump and or a blockage somewhere...these cars are not known for overheating problems if the cooling system is together. CLR??? get your radiator rodded, ghetto fixes don't work well these cars. Also you might want to check your mixture because a lean condition will make it run hot. Disconnect your battery and unplug your Coolant Temp Sensor and your Idle Speed Control, one lets the computer know if the car is warmed up and the other depresses the gas pedal to warm the car up, if either are failing it will make the car run hot especially if its hot where you are. If they are unplugged the computer will assume everything is running at optimal temperatures and not try to adjust anything to warm the engine.

+++1 Get it rodded, run 70% distilled water 30% antifreeze and 40 below additive. Take the above advice..

they run in cool weather at about 1/4, maybe up to 3/8th up if it's hot outside...anything over half way up is a problem...the heads on these cars are prone to cracking because of the jet valves, so you want to keep it at most half way up. If it hits 3/4, turn it off and wait to drive it...PITA yeah, save you a headache, most definitely....

I have a 180stat, runs way too cool in winter time. Perfect for the warm summer though. A proper cooling system will keep the car rock steady at about 180... no matter how hot the outside temp is.

-Robert