Will this cost more money than it's worth?

I'm thinking about buying a 1989 Chrysler Conquest TSI Turbo I found on craigslist for $1,000, but I'm not sure if it'll ultimately cost more than it's worth. Anyone have any input? I've been wanting to buy a Starion/Conquest for a while now (my dream car), but if this one will ultimately wind up costing me a lot more than it's worth, then I'll hold out.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new to all of this, and tried to put it in the right place).

I appreciate any advice on this.

Edited by Harvey

He said the new head gasket needs to be put back on. The wastegate actuator went out and the Turbo failed, but he replaced the actuator.

Automatic is fine with me for right now. I just want something I can drive to work and back. I'm just worried about how many miles are on it.

Edited by Harvey

That depends on what is wrong and if you are mechanically inclined if it needs work. With these cars you probably won't get the money back you put into it. I picked mine up with a blown engine for the same price. It was pretty well taken care of, except for the engine. So I really wasn't worried about having to fix a few things.

Use the search on the forums. Lots, and lots of info. Go to the FAQ section. Lots of info there. There are some on the boards that have their brains full of starquest info. The wiring on the cars isn't the greatest. There may be some issues there. Parts can be expensive. There is little aftermarket support. So be prepared to get creative on some things. If you want a reliable daily driver, it may take a while to get it there.

You didn't mention the turbo being replaced.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the car. Just trying to prepare you for what could happen.

My main concern, really, is that the engine or something might have to be rebuilt. If it just needs a little work every so often, that's fine. It's a car I like, so it'll be worth it, and I have family that's far more mechanically inclined than I am, so I'm sure if there's anything I can't handle, they can help me out and I'll actually learn something. I've been wanting a Starion/Conquest for a long time, and if you guys think it's worth it to buy this rather than hold out and hope I have up to $3,000 on-hand when one of these shows up somewhere in decent running condition, then I'll go for it. I don't see these for sale too often here in Southern California (maybe I'm not looking in the right places), and when I do, they can be pretty expensive.

Anyway, I will most definitely check out the FAQs.

I just wanted to get input from people that have a lot of experience with these cars.

Have you physically seen this car yet? It is not going to look nearly as good in person as it does in the pictures.

There is not a turbo, that is going to cost you. My concern is what else is missing and wrong that is not being told to you. This $1000 car is probably going to cost you a few hundred to get running daily as you want. The seller is going to pitch this car to you and you wont get all the truth.

Where is the front spoiler?

Have you physically seen this car yet? It is not going to look nearly as good in person as it does in the pictures.

There is not a turbo, that is going to cost you. My concern is what else is missing and wrong that is not being told to you. This $1000 car is probably going to cost you a few hundred to get running daily as you want. The seller is going to pitch this car to you and you wont get all the truth.

I just realized, I mispoke. Or mistyped, as it were. The wastegate actuator went out and the back pressure from the Turbo failed. It isn't without a Turbo. Apparently, a new fuelpump and alternator were installed a few months ago, as well. The intake and exhaust have been put back on the head.

Not sure if that makes any difference or not, though.