2jz rear-end

sage89

Hey guys,just have a quick question...i started my 2jz swap and don't know what to do with the rear-end. my question is this, is it possible to go with a 2jz rear -end including axles/ shaft? or is there a way for me to beefup the stock rear-end?

thanks!!

swapping an entire rear end will be more costly then the entire rest of your swap.

just stick with what you have. your axles will be the weak link but you likely wont break those either unless you're launching hard with very sticky tires.

Like frenchi said....Anything can be done but unless your 500+ and plan on 5k clutch dumps with 20psi behind it (which will still hold for a while) I would just get a spare pair of axles like the rest of us and wait for them to break :D .

the car is a 1989. so in other words if my goal is 600 + hp,stock rear ain't gonna last long? Lmao @ BOHO, "a spare axles like the rest of us and wait for them to break" say no more...... im on it ;)!! Thanks guys!

and sorry for the late response ^_^

My faith is wavering in the OEM components ... at 141k miles of stock motoring, my Conquest needs a set badly. Go figure the one with a good boot is the worst one too, haha. I just don't see how there are 700+whp cars launching on the stock stuff and aren't breaking or sending the CVs to hell.

I've read somewhere on here that DSS [The Drive Shaft Shop] makes axles for our cars? I'm probably going with a Ford 8.8 [iRS or solid, haven't decided yet] in the Starion regardless, but if they're less than $1k I'd be interested in a set.

A friend of mine told me there's a possibility that i may be able to go with a 5.0 rear from a mustang. are they really that stronger thn ours?

I mean its an 8.8 straight axle...You'll have a lot of work making a 4 link or something similar....just depends on what you want...again... I would get a spare set of axles and see how long they last you then make a decision.

Lol Dave....141000 miles and 25 years and your faith is wavering...How long you want them to last?

Well, all these other SQs with ridiculous power are the same age as mine, and I'd imagine most of these cars have over 100k on the clock, and you guys speak of them like they're gold ... What should I expect? Used axles have mileage. They also have age, assuming they're OEM equipment on a wrecked/parted car.

I guess I just don't see how my idea of lasting is different from yours if age and mileage are similar.

• Like 1