Car smokes white

mikes_conquest

So the car was pulled out of storage, head gasket replaced and the mechanic said the head and block looked fine. really dont think there cracked. I think its the turbo housing (hot side) but when we drive the car it smokes white? what to check ? what should i replace? car will be up here this week as i am not near the car till Saturday and just making a list of what to do

• 2 weeks later...
Just so happens i am bringing the car into the shop tonight. I know i know i should do it myself, But i will admit i am at a lost and don;t want to wreck anything which i think is best and this isn;t something i should "learn On" . I Have replaced head gasket, well had it replaced. Coolant level stays the same and no bubbling ( as in a cracked block) . I will Let you know what the shop says tomorrow if i remember

Cylinder rings are shot, was told that need to pull enigne , hone block, re-seat valves, install new rings, no time or money and my uncles car, really want to drive a quest. looking for local ( MN) one. LMK. help me out. Also , shop we went to was a HIGH-END Europe shop that works on import and domestics, espically porches

Perhaps you could call around to a few good shops that aren't "high end." I have a friend who owns one of those shops and, while he's a great guy, he shows no mercy when it comes to the price of a repair.

I'm curious as to why you'd rather buy another Conquest as opposed to repairing the one you already have.

Long story short, My dad bought the quest brand new, in 87. sold it to my uncle( his brother) few years later. Been my uncles ever since then . when i got my license uncle said i can drive it , turned out to need alot of work, before i drove it was in storage for 15+ years no routine start-up or anything. Before i rebuild the motor my dad needs to see if my uncle will sell it to me or wants to keep it. If he wont sell it to me then there is no use in me re-building a car that isnt mine because he MAY in fact save it for his own kids. If he doesn't sell it to me i would buy one to work on. We are waiting for a response from him. I don;t think the shop was trying to give us the runaround considering they charged us only $70.00 when there labor an hour/ is 120. They work on higher end imports and foreign cars. They even said they wouldn;t rebuild the car for us, i was unclear as to why.

They probably won't rebuild because they don't know how. It's not that they're not a good shop, just probably don't have anyone with experience with the 2.6L Mitsu engine. Rebuilds cost a lot, too (a lot of little "this and thats") and high-end shop rebuilds cost even more.

If your uncle ends up selling you back the car, rebuild it. It ain't rocket science. Hell, even I did it. ;)

This is where I rebuilt my engine ( bearings, BSEK, gaskets, and, seals)

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu41/Dred_85-5_tsi/84%20Starion%20ES%20project/DSC00499.jpg

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu41/Dred_85-5_tsi/84%20Starion%20ES%20project/DSC00515.jpg

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu41/Dred_85-5_tsi/84%20Starion%20ES%20project/DSC00517.jpg

Its not that hard to do, the engine is really pretty simple.

Pull the throttle body off of the intake manifold. The sealing gasket/oring may be shot allowing coolant to be sucked into the intake manifold at the TB to intake manifold joint. While you're at it rebuild the TB, reset the TPS and disassemble and clean the cruddy old grease out of the ISC worm gear cavity and clean the ISC nose switch contact surfaces.

Also CORRECTLY check the torque of the intake manifold mounting nuts at the head. A nut or two may be loose or the manifold mounting gasket may be dried out and leaking coolant into the manifold runners.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

The ISC is the idle speed controller. See the FSM Fuel Section for a cut away view of it, and read what it does and when and why it does what it does.

You mentioned in your OP that the head gasket has been changed. After a couple of engine warm ups and shut downs after replacing it were the head bolts retorqued? If not, you may have a blown head gasket.

For What It's Worth.

KEN