How did this happen to my 12a???

Ofromda860

So I've been taking apart my 87 quest little by little and just happened to look inside my turbo closely and it looked like this...

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z227/vdubu2/Conquest%20Pics/IMG_0085.jpg

Car has a little over 100k, never smoked on start up or running and I only drove the car MAYBE a total of 50 miles since I bought her! I planned on getting a bigger turbo later down the road(18g I want)anyways... My concern is did this cause a problem to anything else and if so what should I be most concerned about?

Thanks, Juan

Edited by Ofromda860

if the housing is all beat up, it could have been that the turbo was ran out of balance and the compressor wheel beat the hell out of the housing.... But it looks like you sucked something into the compressor (small screw or clamp perhaps)

The good news is that as long as you dont suck anything into it again, if you upgrade to an 18g the nessecary housing milling will trim away most if not all the damage (and you'll get a new wheel anyways)

Edited by Frenchi934

It has no shaft play what so ever... so I'm wondering about the screw theory? I had taken all the soft hoses & aircan to give the engine a good cleaning when I bought it, also did tb rebuild!

yeah, just take out the intercooler and wash it out. The engine will be fine, but you should get a new turbo, like you said.

Guess I'll be selling that airdam I bought from Colin to fund this one :(

you can get good used bolt-on turbos for cheap!

I've been looking at an 18g for quite some time now and been trying to read all thread I can find on this and any turbo! Love my cars, but somewhat new to turbos.

You need a used 12a compressor wheel, that should cost you maybe 10.00

The stock accordian hose uses a rubber adapter ring and looks like that wasn't installed right and it got sucked in. This has happened 100s of times. That wheel turns so fast it doesn't take much to chew it up. Balance had nothing to do with it nor did boost pressure.

You get a larger turbo and you can't let it make higher boost or you need a very different fuel map and run out quickly at higher rpms where a smaller/mediuim sized turbo makes boost quicker, doesn't need much additional fuel at all at low vehicle speeds and rpms or on upshifting but need that fuel once the higher gears are reached and very high speeds.

So I got the turbo completely off and the only damage seems to be whats in the pic on just the wheel. I do have injectors, pump & regulator to make up for fuel, but I think I'll stick with the big 16g. Where would this ring have been? Got a pic?

The stock accordian hose uses a rubber adapter ring and looks like that wasn't installed right and it got sucked in. This has happened 100s of times. That wheel turns so fast it doesn't take much to chew it up. Balance had nothing to do with it nor did boost pressure.
Edited by Ofromda860

Something stiff got sucked into the Turbo Inlet and lunched your Compressor blades. What did it, Who knows?. What kind of Air Filter, if any, do you have from the Air can to the Turbo?

Bill

The stock accordian hose uses a rubber adapter ring and looks like that wasn't installed right and it got sucked in.

Agreed. As there is nothing else that would have caused that kind of damage to the Compressor blades with the Air can and Rubber spacer intact.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Ok so I'm looking at this 16g off an Evo 8... Will it work? I know it's not a DIRECT bolt on... Needs MY hotside, correct?

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z227/vdubu2/20120327_215027.jpg

So I got the turbo completely off and the only damage seems to be whats in the pic on just the wheel. I do have injectors, pump & regulator to make up for fuel, but I think I'll stick with the big 16g. Where would this ring have been? Got a pic?

My turbine fins look exactly the same also. My turbo has no shaft play either so it has been a mystery to me.

My turbine fins look exactly the same also. My turbo has no shaft play either so it has been a mystery to me.

I just happened to look inside it real good only cause I removed it to replace a few things. Like I said I had no symptoms, yet! Haven't really DRIVEN mine yet! ;)

You either sucked in some particles or a foreign object which chewed the fins up, or its out of balance/bearings shot. Since you ruled out shaft play I would go with foreign objects or a really bad air filter with a hole in it or a poor quality filter. I had one of those mesh filters on my Daytona for about a year and the turbo compressor wheel was chewed up similar to yours but not quite as bad. Turns out contrary to what was advertised on the filter box it let in quite a bit of dirt. When the turbo is spinning at 20+ thousand RPM's it doesnt take more than a very small grain of sand to do serious damage to the soft metal turbine. A screw would have probably done even more damage than what that pic shows but anything is possible. Make sure you have a high quality air filter and everything is air tight with no gaps or anything. Its even more important on a turbo charged car than a non turbo. Ive even run those filter covers just to make sure, the pre-filters used for dusty areas, and just remove it when I need all the power when at the track. Better safe than $1000 sorry. Im willing to lose a couple horsepower when driving around to protect my turbo.

Chris.