Dumb Question on Jet Valve Elimination Kit...

83Starion-11

I hear many or most people do this to their conquest, can you do it to an 83' as well (im guessing so because of same engine), and what are the benifits for doing this...I guess im just not sure what it does lol or how it even works.

jet valves are knowing for leaking by and breaking off, hence prone to failure, you will have to take off the valve rocker assembly, you need a valve cover gasket set and the JV eliminator kit, shouldn't take but max 2 hours for even a novice to do while working at a leisurely pace, with a beer in one hand.

I'd recommend changing valve springs and valve seals while your in there, that will take a bit longer, but well worth it. get the stuff from "Dad" on here.

Jet valves are like anything else. They're prone to fail IF they're not taken care of. They carbon up, the seals go bad, every once in a great while one will lose a head. Mine have got about 180,000 miles on them. I've had them out and serviced twice, meaning cleaned the carbon off, inspected the springs, replaced the seals. What's more prone to happening is the head cracking from the heat. With the jet valves installed they allow a bit of cooler air to travel through the head. Pull the JV's and put a steel slug in there and now not only have you eliminated that air, you've also introduced that steel, which expands and contracts (heats and cools) at a different rate than the aluminum around it. A lot of guys run the eliminators. My thinking says it's better to maintain what Mitsu spent countless hours developing.

With the jet valves installed they allow a bit of cooler air to travel through the head. Pull the JV's and put a steel slug in there and now not only have you eliminated that air, you've also introduced that steel, which expands and contracts (heats and cools) at a different rate than the aluminum around it.

which is why i'm leaving mine alone. if the head cracks I'll get a ported njv head, till then I'll just leave it be.

I had a set of Jet Valve Eliminators and I had a cracked head, but my head cracked between the valves barely visible and on the #2 cylinder. It did overheat because of a blowhead gasket. The jet valves arent terrible themselves but they tend to fail, WHY because people dont maintain them or inspect them which should be done. People are not used to their upkeep so when they fail they blame them even though no maintenance was done to keep them running. Some people do it because they wanna eliminate that maintenance.