Welp, the Starion is a CA historical Vehicle now

leesfer

Heck I got my MPI smogged and it wasn't even a friends shop. You guys just pick the wrong shops. Old techs = visual fail. Young techs = likes your car and pass smog.

Yep, this be true. My friend got popped three times at a smog station in Simi Valley. Sent him to a local smog guy, he passed without bending rules or anything like that. The first guy in Simi was just being superjz.

I appreciate your efforts but I already know the law, I've been researching it for months before doing what I did

While smog equipment is technically supposed to be on the vehicle, there are never any smog checks for historical vehicles

I'm not here to be a buzz kill; I'm just an observer,

The thing is your telling everyone what you’re doing and how you’re doing it on an open forum.

The state of California gets federal money for reducing pollution levels, that is ultimately tax dollars that we all pay and what other states want a piece of, why everyone should be responsible and honest so we can police ourselves so others don't have to police us.

I hate to be the one to say anything because if you get caught, you'll probably blame me.

Honestly though there can be a way to do what you’re doing because I thought I would never see an MPI pass a referee station but ucw458 says he did it.

Just to let you know though, you should never say

..."there are never any smog checks for historical vehicles"...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/resnotes/notes/94-20.htm

...they're not going to throw the test away and the arb might even be more interested since you have historic plates to make a special report or be curious to see if your not just trying to skirt the smog laws, and you would probably be right to assume you’re not the first to attempt this strategy?

There is some truth to the belief that certain personalities will dominate a models ownership, and I wouldn't want to be the one that contributes to a negative image with the arb statistical data.

Edited by Metric-man

I'm not here to be a buzz kill; I'm just an observer,

The thing is your telling everyone what you’re doing and how you’re doing it on an open forum.

The state of California gets federal money for reducing pollution levels, that is ultimately tax dollars that we all pay and what other states want a piece of, why everyone should be responsible and honest so we can police ourselves so others don't have to police us.

I hate to be the one to say anything because if you get caught, you'll probably blame me.

Honestly though there can be a way to do what you’re doing because I thought I would never see an MPI pass a referee station but ucw458 says he did it.

Just to let you know though, you should never say

..."there are never any smog checks for historical vehicles"...

http://www.arb.ca.go...notes/94-20.htm

...they're not going to throw the test away and the arb might even be more interested since you have historic plates to make a special report or be curious to see if your not just trying to skirt the smog laws, and you would probably be right to assume you’re not the first to attempt this strategy?

There is some truth to the belief that certain personalities will dominate a models ownership, and I wouldn't want to be the one that contributes to a negative image with the arb statistical data.

I see what you're saying and I think you're a bit confused on what I am doing

I am NOT trying to bypass smog laws so I can go galavanting around in my Starion. My car is a specifically a show car. It stays parked, hidden away except for the couple times a month that I take it around town. The reason I got these plates was to allow me to build my Starion the way I wanted it without government interference.

Nor am I trying to go around pollution as I can be sure that my car will be tuned into smog. As I said before I never worried about passing the sniffer test, it's visual that I wanted to avoid. I've had many cars in the past failed for things that shouldn't even matter, like a hose that wasn't black or cone air filters. Maybe I was going to the wrong smog shops, maybe other's would let it pass. But for a show car that I drive very rarely, I'd rather not have to worry about it and enjoy the novelty of the Historical plates.

The reason I am telling everyone what I did and how is to help out other Starquesters who may be in the same boat as me but can't find this information anywhere.

As for tax revenue, I don't think $50 every two years is going to hurt California... plus, I have 4 vehicles that I all pay smog for already... I want one project that I can just enjoy for once without Sacramento telling me I can't

Edited by leesfer
  • Like 1

I understand, you want a show car and by your means you probably can get around the bi annual smog testing, and the arguments you give are compelling.

I’m just trying to be clear about what is good for one example, doesn’t always work for everyone.

You probably know that California had a Street Rod plate that was discontinued?

I don’t know why but I could probably guess, it was because everyone wanted one.

Now if everyone that owned a Starion or Conquest in California wanted a plate such as yours.

Don’t you think that might ruin the novelty for you?

Or that everyone is going to maintain their cars as well as you maintain yours?

What is going to happen when someone else goes on what you present here and they meet opposition and or get fined?

Can you trust someone not to point their finger at you and say” but this guy did it!”?

I mean you make it pretty easy by posting your plate numbers.

And I assure you it will most probably happen but I guarantee you it won’t be me.

Talk to ucw458 his method has less risk involved, a little more effort but it would be worth it to keep your car, and not have the extra headache in the back of your mind wondering what if .

I understand, you want a show car and by your means you probably can get around the bi annual smog testing, and the arguments you give are compelling. I’m just trying to be clear about what is good for one example, doesn’t always work for everyone. You probably know that California had a Street Rod plate that was discontinued? I don’t know why but I could probably guess, it was because everyone wanted one. Now if everyone that owned a Starion or Conquest in California wanted a plate such as yours. Don’t you think that might ruin the novelty for you? Or that everyone is going to maintain their cars as well as you maintain yours? What is going to happen when someone else goes on what you present here and they meet opposition and or get fined? Can you trust someone not to point their finger at you and say” but this guy did it!”? I mean you make it pretty easy by posting your plate numbers. And I assure you it will most probably happen but I guarantee you it won’t be me. Talk to ucw458 his method has less risk involved, a little more effort but it would be worth it to keep your car, and not have the extra headache in the back of your mind wondering what if .

I understand what leesfer is saying becaue I live in SoCal...it works for leesfer than great!...that's one way and the other way is ucw458, the more the way the better, that's how I see it. As for me I prefer to drive my Starion more than 1500-2500 miles per year. So for now I'll keep it stock and just keep doing the smog route. That's all. :)

Metric-Man,

You've convinced me to blur my plates on the original post, I guess I am too trusting when giving out information

I do not condone people using this as a means to avoid the law... these plates should be used for their intended purpose so that those who do use, and need, them will be able to continue enjoying them

In texas they are called antique plates.They are good for 5 years and no state inspection.My 88 will qualify next year.

supposed to be a non daily driver .

You might go with CLASSIC instead of ANTIQUE which I may do after my prepaid 5 yrs of my current specialty plate is up in about 3 more years.

CLASSIC:

... of the above-described vehicle, which is at least 25 years old, and is a passenger car,

truck, motorcycle, or travel trailer with a manufacturer’s rated carrying capacity of 10,000 pounds or less.

ANTIQUE:

...owner of the above described vehicle. The frame, body and motor are at least 25 years old,

and the vehicle is a collector’s item that will be used solely for exhibition, club activities, parades, and other functions of public

interest (replicas do not qualify for Antique plates). The vehicle will not be used for regular transportation except when routine

maintenance is needed. The vehicle will not carry advertising.