can't find diagram/table for what wires are what in the ECU plugs

NudeLobster

I just spent more than 20 mins searching the FSM and all i found where like 20 pages that had the ECU plugs in the bottom right hand corner of the page with all the pins numbered but no table of what pin number was what color or function. I need this to find the wires I need to cut and or tap into for my MAF translator gen 2.

I hope it isn't really easy to find and I just missed it, but I searched over the whole thing once by eye and once using the search page function with no luck. Though, I just spent 10 hours getting my new IC, IC pipes, and GM MAF fit in the stupid car. hah.

thanks,

-Justin

car is an 87 with an 88/89 ECU. I'll search over the FSM again now that I'm rested and not stressed lol.

-Justin

edit: nvm that project zero page is perfect, thanks!

Edited by NudeLobster

This is for an 88. The colors are probably the same. section 14 page 41-43. http://www.starquest...fuel_system.pdf The colors are at the bottom of page 42. There are no numbers on the plugs that i could ever see. But with the lay out and colours you can double check your self. Than mark the plug with the #'s at the ends.

Use the msd tack wire for rpm. Set it up with fixed out puts for baro and air temp, same as the base maft works. Leave the wide band tracking off till you get a handle on the basics. Leave all the fancy stuff off till you get a handle on the basic settings.

Edited by StarquestRescue

sweet you're the best SQR! Always giving me a helping hand :)

by tach wire from the MSD, would you be referring to the orange wire going from the 6al to the coil? or the red wire from the 8910 tach adapter?

-Justin

Edited by NudeLobster

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120584

This is what I used, just don't use the tach wire like Boosted77 instructed. My igniter went on the fritz when I hooked the tech wire up likw he said.

I am planning on doing the MSD 6al set up with a 8910 tach adaptor.

If you figure out where to find the MSD page John SQR is talking about send it to me please.

Good luck and BTW I have the book for the Gen 2.

SQR, I completely forgot about that out put. That makes things so easy! Ironside, the output he's talking about is a male spade connector on the top of the 6AL box. It is a tach output that you can run tachometers, shift lights, ect off of.

As for boosted's write up, that is what I'm following. I just can't seem to get a mental picture of how he is counting the pins, so I'm just going to cross reference his write up with the ECU diagram in the FSM

Also, no wonder why I couldn't find the diagrams earlier; they are under fuel, not electrical lol

-Justin

after cross referencing, Boosted was counting the first row the same as the FSM, but he counted the second rows backwards compared to the FSM. Now I have everything figured out :D

There are small shreds of hope with us, I promise! :ph34r:

-Justin

after cross referencing, Boosted was counting the first row the same as the FSM, but he counted the second rows backwards compared to the FSM. Now I have everything figured out :D

There are small shreds of hope with us, I promise! :ph34r:

-Justin

It is best not to even look at that thread. It is riddled with mistakes. If you ask questions on the maft forum pretend you have a 1g dsm, just ignore any advice specific to the dsm.

Ok will do SQR! one last question, in the 88 FSM 14-11, ECU pin 57 has a hand written note next to it that says "fuel pump relay". Is this the pin I would wire a toggle switch into for an on/off switch for the fuel pump? Pin 51 is also noted as fuel pump relay but that's the pin I'll be using for 12v power to the MAF-T so I'd rather switch the other fuel pump relay pin. That is, if those hand written notes are correct.

thanks,

-Justin

Power the translation from the ignition or run circuit. If you feel the need for heaver wires to the fuel pump, use a relay and trip it with the exiting fuel pump wiring. Tip: you can trip a relay with a wire from the fuel pump test plug by the intake.

A toggle switched fuel pump is a bad safety move on a street driven car.

Why do you say that?

Power the translation from the ignition or run circuit. If you feel the need for heaver wires to the fuel pump, use a relay and trip it with the exiting fuel pump wiring. Tip: you can trip a relay with a wire from the fuel pump test plug by the intake.

Why not run the translator off the the ECU 12v source? the wiring diagrams for "popular cars" that came with the translator all take 12v from the ECU source :huh:

thanks,

-Justin