36-1 Missing tooth, VR setup, MS users

I am beating my brains out trying to figure this out. Is anyone else using a 36-1, EDIS setup without the EDIS module on a megasquirt? I am confused, I was running the EDIS module, then modified my board for coil direct drive with a wasted spark setup. When I was setup for EDIS the manual said to setup the MS with a hall sensor setup. I modified the board with the direct coil drive and setup the ign input to VR, since I keep seeing the ford sensor referred to as a VR sensor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn

I'm the one communicating with you over at the MS forums, I've built several units of this style but I've always used a VR conditioner board in the engine bay with the ignition transistors in it to keep the VR signal wires as short as possible. I have not done it with the VR circuit on the MS board but its much the same to troubleshoot.

Looking at the circuit it should be converted from variable reluctor signal which is alternating to 0-5V DC ttl downstream of Q22, can you sit on R44 and see if you're getting any variation in voltage when its running on the stim? You'd see the biggest voltage changes using a DVM at lower rpm inputs, if you have some kind of scope then you should be able to clearly see what's going on. If you get something changing then travel further downstream to see where the break is before it gets to the VRout jumper. If you don't get anything you'll need a scope to see what's going on with the VR signal.

Scott

Awesome Scott! I have it setup for a vr signal now.

I think it's an issue with my VR. The reason I am lead to believe this because, today I pulled the VR off while plugged in. I think waved an allen key in front of it and was able to get some signal while tooth logging in Tuner Studio.

I am going to follow your info tomorrow. When on the stim, I am getting tach signal and LED 17 and 19 are showing that they are firing.

Thanks a lot for all your help,

Shawn

I am getting up to 1.6v on the top of R44 with the stim connected and this is 28,000 rpms. Seems a bit low if it's supposed to be between 0-5v. I need to make an input for Winscope and see what I can find out.

Shawn

Scott, thanks a lot for the help on both message boards! I got it working now. I am registering RPM's when cranking for the first time and I see LED 17 and 19 blinking for the first time on the car. It was an issue with R56 having to be turned in way more than I did. It's almost maxed about and R52 needed tweaking too. Along the way I caught a few mistakes, so it was a combination of things.

Shawn