How do you remove the WG flapper on the turbo hotside?

NudeLobster

How do you remove the WG flapper from the turbo hotside? I'm getting my hotside ceramic coated and I am figuring I will need to remove it since it's a moving part. I don't see any threads or what not to disassemble it?

thanks,

-Justin

Ask the coater that question but I don't see any reason why they would coat that area anyway. To remove it you have to grind the weld off the arm on the outside so the lever falls off then on some you can wiggle and push the shaft in and remove it with the flapper still attached.

The coating process I've seen is just a tank of liquid ceramic material the part is dipped into then baked. If thy are using that method then you really don't want to remove the WG flapper. The ceramic material that gets inside the hole the flapper rides on has to be removed or you couldn't re-assemble the WG. The fluid is thicker than water so I don't think it will wick into the shaft with the WG installed. But your coater could answer that question better than I could. If the coating does jam the flapper from moving twisting it with some pliers should free it.