Sunroof applications kits etc?

traps

Anyone do this with out the factory sunroof? Most of my cars have always had sunroofs and I wanna keep the quest for a while and that is something I would like to add at some point. I was curious to whats out there.

There are lots of aftermarket sunroof companies out there that are repuditable. SFC is one that comes to mind. However, I have owned 2 cars (older) w/ aftermarket sunroofs and both of them have leaked. Most aftermarket sunroofs use a "pinch" method of sealing which just doesn't hold up over time. Conversely, I've owned 4 cars with factory sunroofs and never had one leak.

IMO, as far as it relates to Starquests, if you have a solid top I think you're better off considering the gaskets and seals aren't available for the factory sunroofs either.

I've had two cars with non factory sunroofs (My '83 Starion and an '82 Datsun 720 4x4) both leak, the Datsun way worse. Then i've had two factory sunroof cars and neither leaked a drop so i would definately try to find a reputable company unless you want leaks. I do hear you about wanting a sunroof though i personally really like them in my cars but i would rather have a factory one.

If you get a good quality roof installed by a reputable sunroof installer/dealer, you will have the best luck, and possibly some sort of warranty. I have installed my own sunroofs, but I wouldn't reccomend that to someone without experience. I've bought aftermarket roofs out of cars in junkyards, and had a couple leak a little, but the majority of them have been fine. I've also had a few new ones installed professionally, and never had a problem with leaks.

The key is to get a quality unit and have it installed by someone who knows what they're doing. Do that, and you shouldn't have any problems. Seals may go bad after about 15 years, but if you go with a well known sunroof brand, then replacement seals will be available. Stick with a brand like Inalfa, Webasto, or ASC. Those are all good quality units, and will be trouble free if installed by people who know what they're doing.

My car has an aftermarket sunroof in it and the company the PO used has a good name in my area but the rails/gutters used to collect and direct water to runoffs are only 1/4"deep so in a downpour it will leak a tad as the gutters overflow----mine fits flush with the roof and opens up so just the back is opened and also slides back within the roof to be completely open to air and when closed has a sliding shade matched to headliner to block out sun---i think it looks better than factory but if ur any taller than me at 5'9" ur head touches the shade when closed---i guess im saying just do ur homework-----just my thoughts

gig out