Difference Between 4G63 and 4G64

Woody

Well a modded 4g63 isn't the best daily drivable motor to start with let alone one that's stroked out. I'f you were easy on it which nobody would be you could get by. I'm a big mitsubishi fan and I know these cars get a bad rap for not being reliable but to me when it comes to any car being a daily driver it makes more sense to me to have basic mods and not go crazy.

TexasQuest I was under the assumption and have experienced that the 2.0 DOHC was smoother and a better daily driver then the 2.6. Thus the 2.4 DOHC would still be nicer daily. I am talking about raw engines here, not supporting mods, as the bigger the turbo the worst it would be for a daily driver.

akauf That link is awesome. Thats exactly what I have been needing to see to make up my mind about which motor to build. Now my only other problem is now I am starting to want to build my 2.6 instead of the 2.4

Personally I've never owned a 4g63 but have friends that have had them in the past and I've tinkered with them. They do run a little smoother than our 4g54 and I can tell a difference in updated technology between the two engines. They are awesome little motors. :D

The 2.4 will out perform the 2.6. Displacement is only as good as the head it breaths through.

An earlier torque onset from the 2.6 will be followed shortly by a massive drop. There are better cams, rods, tuning options, valve

Train, etc for the 4g6x

a well set up 2.4 with accompanying bolt ons IS the end all be all in Mitsubishi 4 cylinders

Edited by akauf

• 3 weeks later...

Yep already have adjustable cam gears so thats not a worry at all.

bump from the dead to elaborate one thing I forgot to mention. When using the DOHC 4g64 timing belt you need to advance each cam gear by 3.75*... When using the 4g63 timing belt you retard each cam gear by 3.75*. Of course, time the came by the manufacturers specs but this will get you "zero'd out".