Chicago Auto Show - 1984

Indiana

No people are in this scene at the Chrysler-Plymouth display space, where a white Conquest sport coupe sits on a raised platform. A sign above refers to "imports with a purpose." Replacing the Dodge Challenger, the Mitsubishi-built Conquest had a turbocharged 2.6-liter four-cylinder engine. Volkswagen's exhibit space is across the aisle.

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/assets/1/timeline/1984-27.jpg

Whats a shame is that if Mitsubishi just used an mpi fuel system instead of tb, they would have continued to keep the name well into the 90's like 300z and supra. Instead they received such bad consumer complaints about operating issues due to the injection system( same ones we fight till this day) that they were forced to change the name to the 3000gt. I just tell people that the 3000gt was a supposed to be a Starion which it was. Remember the Isuzu impulse turbo. They had issues and the line died. If it wasn't for the internet which brought this site, this car would have died as well.

Franco

• 2 weeks later...

Whats a shame is that if Mitsubishi just used an mpi fuel system instead of tb, they would have continued to keep the name well into the 90's like 300z and supra. Instead they received such bad consumer complaints about operating issues due to the injection system( same ones we fight till this day) that they were forced to change the name to the 3000gt. I just tell people that the 3000gt was a supposed to be a Starion which it was. Remember the Isuzu impulse turbo. They had issues and the line died. If it wasn't for the internet which brought this site, this car would have died as well.

Franco

Chrysler had there own bout with the TBI only their's was a single injector

in this quote that I found on allpar...

Pete Hagenbuch wrote:

The throttle-body (TBI) EFI was certainly not anywhere close to port injection, but it gave a better control of the air-fuel ratio than did the trusty old carburetor. In fact, the principal reason we all wanted to get rid of TBI was the number of calibrations which would not have been needed with MP [multiple port] EFI. It was always a cost vs. quality argument and I imagine the decision was made at a much higher level.

If there had been an airflow meter available then, which gave accurate and repeatable measurements we might have been able to sell it to management. With TBI, fuel-air distribution was essentially the same as a carburetor, and a new calibration was needed for every engine-car combination.

Here is a step we lost in the higerachy of model distribution, although AWD in still had the size similarity to

an A187A where in was a step above an Eclipse, they even had a Bellco Ralli-Art concept, what a shame

http://oi44.tinypic.com/fkw64w.jpg

(Why do I feel I'm playing Toykyo Highway Battle when I watch this?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwPqsrK4u8&feature=player_embedded

What are the colors of that car in the first post? White and bronze two-tone? Looks beautiful.

Yes, bronze. My '84 parts car has the exact same color combo and paint scheme as that car.