intercooler / turbo question

prototype78

Hi ..what is the biggest size on intercooler that I can use on my 87 tsi with tbi and what size on piping is recommended ...also I'm debating bout changing my stock Turbo for something bigger...would I have to get another ecu or stock is fine??...thanks

I can't comment on the intercooler piping size but if you are going to be upgrading the turbo your are going to need to upgrade the maf and get a maf translator so you can tune it

and an 88/89 ecu, the 87 will fuel cut on you.

not sure if you can Run a Fuel Cut defencer on a 87 but you might wanna check if you can

here is what im talking about http://www.andysautosport.com/mitsubishi/1983_1987_starion/performance/electronics/fuel_management/hks/hksp00346069.html

I don't really think it matters what size intercooler you get, just keep in mind that with stock boost the bigger intercooler you get the more lag, IMO the hardest part is with piping, unless your going to be running mpi eventually??? Also idk about you but I opted against upgrading my intercooler because I didn't want to trim anything Up front for a bigger intercooler. I believe that *DM has a 4" thick intercooler bolt on kit. Edited by Spooled_Starion

I just talking to this Guy who has a friend who owns an starion 87 he told me I don't need a fuel cut if I don't go over 12 psi. And about piping he told me safe size is 2.50"....thanks everybody for ur help....oh if I change the Turbo ill rebuild it. And keep it...that Turbo sounds good.no play but its rusty lol