Were these ever sold or are they custom?

mbruneaux

The rims are the Do Lucks. Nice, but really expensive and difficult to find. They don't make them anymore. The fenders are Convettes. I am considering making a mold for them. The rears will have to made and welded and filled/painted on the car. The fronts can be made in a mold and be an individual part.

The rears will have to made and welded and filled/painted on the car. The fronts can be made in a mold and be an individual part.

Why not make the rears out of FG too? Steel panel fab is gonna cost way more than FG molding, and with the killer automotive adhesives on the market, you could glue the FG part onto the rear 1/4's no problem.

Why not make the rears out of FG too? Steel panel fab is gonna cost way more than FG molding, and with the killer automotive adhesives on the market, you could glue the FG part onto the rear 1/4's no problem.

Great point Burton.

I didn't think about adhesive. I really wanted that "integrated" look instead of the add-on flare look. I was thinking about the rears and didnt know how do that. I guess, know that I mull it over. I could glue the new fender onto the body, then use a little bit of filler to make the transition. Maybe do a one inch overlap with the filler, use tape to mask off the transition after the lap and then paint the transition. I was planning on skinning it with CF and use clear epoxy so you could see the CF print through the clear. But with way I described it about, the transition would be really smooth, it would have that integrated factory look i was going for and it would still have the CF showing.

Good thoughts. I was planning on doing the fronts and hood first anyway so I have plenty of time to figure out the rears. I still have to call my friend with the mold company to quote the parts. I am planning on doing the plug and the mold myself but he has the infusion, CF, core if needed, pump, sealant, bags and epoxy. So I would just build the plug and the molds and then bring them to him for parts. I still need to see what he is going to charge me for the parts.

Because I wasn't planning on doing this for weight, since there isn't a ton to be shaved, at least in the fenders, but for looks and functionability, I was planning on skinning it with CF but then backing it with S or E glass to reduce the cost, you won't see if from the outside, just he CF and it would be cheaper. The great think about infusion is how little epoxy it takes to infuse a panel. A couple quarts will do a whole fender darn near. So really the cost is in the one sheet of CF, some scraps for the back to reinforce it, the infuse layer and the bag. Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. We shall see.