ABS Removal - Can't find the thread

hey_obie

I can not find a thread for removing the ABS. It was a popular mod and have seen it before, but can not find on a search and I looked in FAQ's and mods and other places .

I remember a great thread at starquest.i-x.net, but that site looks gutted to me. It used to have some great step by step mods with pictures but it seems like a lot is missing of gone

Thanks

Obie

It looks to me like you need to connect the two brake lines together that go to the ABS contraption. I think the instructions I previously saw, was a little more elegant. They were cutting the lines out so they don't go across the entire firewall.

You also have to block the vacuum line. Disconnect the electric connector and hope there are no problems.

What looks a little involved is figuring out what has to be removed to get that contraption out of the car.

I remember it being much easier. remove the ABS unit disconnect anything connected to it. it has a brake line running towards the rear brakes, you need to disconect that close to the firewall and loop it back to the master. the diy had more info, like the correct lengh of brake line and what kind of fitting to buy.

wait till someone else here replies with proper info

Yeah, I noticed there as problems w/ Starquest Forums as well. What's the deal there? Those how-to's are like my Bible.

They are nice for the pictures,

but once you had enough of your own experience you'll find that PQ is far from a Deity.

Edited by Metric-man

Think about this. I was on the 5 freeway in So.Cal years ago with my Starion. Doing 90. This guy in front of me hit his brakes in the fast lane and so did I. If I didn't have rear ABS........i would most likely be DEAD. That is something to think about before you remove it ;)

Bill

They are nice for the pictures,

but once you had enough of your own experience you'll find that PQ is far from a Deity.

Oh, I agree, but it takes time to gather the experience you're talking about. I'm a DSM guy turned Starquest ... totally different platform. It's nice to have resources (like the FSM), but the how to's get into little things the FSM doesn't explain and I sometimes I hate asking questions. I'd rather read up on it, try it myself and ask questions after if I'm still having a problem.

Edited by techboy

Oh, I agree, but it takes time to gather the experience you're talking about. I'm a DSM guy turned Starquest ... totally different platform. It's nice to have resources (like the FSM), but the how to's get into little things the FSM doesn't explain and I sometimes I hate asking questions. I'd rather read up on it, try it myself and ask questions after if I'm still having a problem.

The only thing that the Factory Service Manual doesn't cover is modifications. That information can be found here on this site. Tech, None of us on this website was born with knowledge about these cars, it was learned from others (Monkey see, Monkey do :lol: ) Don't feel that asking questions on here will make you look less knowledgeable in others eyes.. We all started out at zero as far as knowing anything about these cars. Some learned more and are now helping others out. Most of those owners stuck with their car and learned how to fix it and do modifications. Others didn't, gave up, sold their Starquests and bought Hondas.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Think about this. I was on the 5 freeway in So.Cal years ago with my Starion. Doing 90. This guy in front of me hit his brakes in the fast lane and so did I. If I didn't have rear ABS........i would most likely be DEAD. That is something to think about before you remove it ;)

Bill

I wouldn't go as far as to say the ABS saved your life, but I'm sure it may have helped, but there are some common myths about ABS that are …

1) I can stop my vehicle faster with ABS

2) My ABS works or my brakes would have failed.

1) ABS modulates braking, what that means when you press the brake pedal in a panic situation, the ABS turns your foot pressure into a rapid on/off pressure to the braking surfaces, this is why the manufactures give instructions as not to pump the brakes when stopping the pedal pressure must be applied steadily.

So by this modulation action in reality brake reaction time is slowed down, in fact ABS by itself is not more useful than a properly maintained and user operated braking system (in identical cars), but with the advent of traction control and electronics added for that purpose. in the addition to ABS it is.

2) If ABS malfunctions in a vehicles braking system, the system corrects itself by reverting to normal non- ABS methods mechanically or electronically.

So how can you give credit to ABS when it could very well have been you’re driving ability which saved your life?