88 reving issue

ScooterDude92

i chaged the ecu randomly today to a 87 ecu and my problem is FIXED!!! i dont know why the 88 ecu wasnt working correctly although i wish it was my problem is now fixed and im happy as hell :)... since my 88 is a automatic and i took the ecu from a manuel isnt their a wire i have to repin?

HHHHMMMM!!!!!! Based upon the above, your '88 ECU Ram may have been overloaded with extraneous files. The only way to clear out these ram files is to disconnect the ECU for at least 2 minutes (I'd go with 5 or more) and then reconnect it.

You have already accomplished this by removing the '88 EFI ECU. Try reinstalling it and see what happens.

About once every two to three years my Old Broad's EFI ECU suddenly goes snakey (as you described) for no apparent reason and she can't get out of her own way. I have found that if I disconnect the battery neg terminal for about 5 minutes and reconnect it she suddenly is her old fiesty self again.

Why you may ask? Cuz all of the old "files" are gone out of ram and she can function real time again.

Remember that the Starquest's EFI ECU is early to mid '80's computer technology with minimum ram.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

awsome thanks to browsing and seeing indianas older posts i thought heck i mise well try swapping the ecu out...i did and vaala runs perfect, i do have a little miss when boostin randomly but i was looking under the hood at night and i saw a spar around cylinder 3-4 so new ngks tomm and thatl be fixed :) im happy as hell

If you don't have the boost solenoid on the air filter can and its hoses and all three ports on the wastegate actuator hooked up properly that "extra wire" on the ignitor doesn't have any purpose. It wasn't an issue on automatics anyway only manual cars and it was just to limit boost so in lower gears you might not spin the tires and who would want to do that. It did this by only using the inner chamber on the WG actuator that caused the boost limit to lower by a couple psi. It did the same thing if there was a little knock from buying cheap gas.

I've seen only one fried ECU and it came from an 88 and its 02 driver or whatever was dead and it would sometimes fire both injectors while idling.

karma kicks my arse all the time man...one time bad karma pushed my 87 conquest off a hill yup that happened still hard to beleive it myself...but any way, my auto tranny acts like it dosnt go into 2nd and to shift to what should be 2nd from first i have to either let of the gas or hold it steady for a LONG time

if i pull 10lbs at wot to 5k it will NOt s*** to second unles i let completly off the gas..not only that but i think its not second cause it bogs down to much after it does shift, now sometimes if i lightly let of the gas ital shift to what i think is really second cause it only moves down about 1500 rpms

also park is way above park..reverse is at park and so on so forth